Do your chickens go out in the snow???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    My'n will not!!!!!!!!!! Like do yours go out to play in the snow........at all?????? It is my chicken's first winter and they are Buff Orpingtons and Brahmas.....but they just want go out in the snow at all!!!!!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It rarely ever snows here, but usually no. . . Some of them will, just to do something they need to (go from one building to the next, take a drink of water) but otherwise they usually stay inside.

If it isn't snowing though, but there's snow on the ground - Yes. They will go outside.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    mine go in the snow.... they like it. I do have some chickens that have never experienced snow, it will be there first time. i am anxious to see their actions. but there elders will lead the way.....[​IMG]

i usually make paths with hay for them.. from their coop to the back door of my house. [​IMG]

4. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    We don,t get much snow here and when we do it's normally very little or it only lasts for a day or two. Mine will go out in the snow if its not too deep otherwise I have to dig paths for them.

5. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Nope. I live where we get lots of snow and my chickens don't seem to care for it. When there's snow on the ground, I can open up the door for them and they don't go out. [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

First snow of the season they're a little slow to go out in it, but then they get used to it. They don't play in it but they do go out in it. If it's very deep I shovel out areas in the pens for them.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Absolutely not!

They think snow eats chicken. [​IMG]

Imp- won't even look out the pop door

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Last year (my first with chickens) the girls went out in their yard - not thrilled but they went.
    This year they are holding me personally responsible for the snow &
    They
    Are
    NOT
    Pleased!

The babies go right out - I see chicken tracks in the snow - but the older gals huddle in the coop & grumble at me when I come to feed or close it up.
    I scatter a flake of hay in their fenced yard & toss some scratch out so they have something to scratch in & peck apart.
    Chicken Busywork [​IMG]

9. denise70

denise70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    We get (and just received!) lots of snow - mine do not seem to like it. Last week was our first snow which was just a sprinkle compared to what we have now (about 18") and only two hens of the four would go out in the uncovered run.

I have been shovelling it out but that only helps a little. Perhaps they just need to get used to it? Actually this morning, they didn't even want to come out (they had to eventually as that is where their water and food is!

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    This pic was taken the day after our first snow fall, the day they moved into the heated garage and out of their coop for winter. As you can see thye hit the grassy areas and tried to avoid the snow lol!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by