1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your chickens have enough sense to come in out of the rain?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kayri, Feb 15, 2008.

1. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Every time it rains hard here (and it has been doing that a lot), my chickens get soaking wet to the bone. Their feathers are all plastered down around them. It is usually about 36 degrees out and we have to take them inside, put them in a small coop and build a fire in the wood stove to dry them out before I put them in their unheated coop.
    They can go under the covered porch, or under their own small coop or stay in their coop to stay dry, but they don't seem to.

Does anyone else have that problem, or is it just my chickens?

Kay

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    when it rains my moms barred rocks hop into the coop. if its a drizzle they stay out in the rain for a lil bit or hide under the laddder

3. tpantali

tpantali Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    Ours do not come in out the rain. We have been known, to the amusement of the neighbors, to chase them around trying to get them into the coop and out the rain. [​IMG]
    However they do not come out when it is cold or if there is snow.

4. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    It has been pouring here all day and the chickens have been pecking around in the mud having a good ol time. They look horrible ( dripping wet) but they are enjoying it. I just figure if it bothered them they would run into there coop. I think it's kinda cute. Silly chickens!!!

5. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    My chicks - RIRs, Doms and BOs - stay out in a drizzle but go under the porch if it rains harder. They do not go in the hen house except to lay eggs or eat during the day. They are free range all day and locked up tight in the hen house at night

6. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:They sound pretty smart to me. Get wet = come in the house and sit by a roaring fire.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:They sound pretty smart to me. Get wet = come in the house and sit by a roaring fire.

Yes, sounds like they have you pretty well trained

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    No mine don't come out of the rain. They stand outside the back door, bedraggled and sad looking, and beg for warming treats. They do their sad and pathetic look and hope someone will give them food, they have it perfected. They have even been known to tap on the door.

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    The ones I have now do although not all of mine have in the past. The two hens I have right now either go into the coop or under the deck.

10. chickiebird

chickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Annapolis Valley
    No, mine stay out and get soaked. They're silkies, so they end up looking like drowned rats, with the tufts on their head going all spiky. They absolutley refuse to go out in the snow though. They peek out the door and will not touch a toe outside if there is snow on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by