Do your chickens have enough sense to come in out of the rain?

The first year I had chickens they wouldn't go in. I would chase them all around trying to heard them in and get soaked in the process!
lau.gif
I finally chalked it up to them being young and not having any older chickens telling them what to do. Once the boys figured out I wanted them in when it rained they hustled the girls in. . . well most of them anyway.
big_smile.png
There are always one or two girls who think it's O.K. to get wet and beraggled. Now that I have mixed age groups the younger ones generally follow the lead of the older ones. Same with nesting box behavior. The new girls always watch the older girls nesting, act facinated by what they are up to, and when it's time they go into the nesting boxes also. Not so with my first year girls. They didn't seem to have a clue and were laying all over the place. I put fake eggs in PLUS had to show them a few time by putting them physically into the boxes. What a whoot!

Well, I understand the warmer climate chickens not caring if they get wet, but at 36 degrees, it does not seem like a positive evolutionary trait.

Of course the DH scoffed and said "Don't bring those chickens into the house!" but when I was traveling and they got bedraggled, soaked to the bone again, he brought them in and did the same thing. I mean you can't leave them out there soaking wet, right? They have no insulation with their feathers plastered to their bones (I mean fat).

I'm just worried it will happen when everyone is at work/school and they will freeze to death. SIGHHH. These chickens are a lot of worry.
barnie.gif

Kay

It rains here all the time and the older birds generally go for cover, while the younger ones show up at night soaked to the skin.

Broody took her 3 day old chick out in 40 degree drizzling weather... they are doing just fine despite that.

I just leave mine out in their unheated coop while still wet. For the past two months or so, day highs are in the low to mid 40's and night lows in the low 30's, with a few nights in the 20's.

Quote:
Thanks silkiechicken. I always thought they relied upon their feathers for insulation, they must have something else going on if they can be soaking wet with temps. just above freezing and still be OK.

Thanks everyone else for your input.

Kay

Back
Top Bottom