Do your chickens pay for their keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fowlsessed, Mar 8, 2013.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Do your chickens end up paying for themselves? Whether you sell eggs, meat, or just selling extra birds.

2. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Yup. Mostly they earn their feed and bedding.
    There are 21 hens with about 4 retired from laying.
    They do free range almost all day so that helps with the cost of feed.
    We sell eggs at the end of the driveway and to friends.
    Right now they are picking up from their mid-winter lull.
    At the slowest I got about 6 eggs a day and at the peak I can expect about 14 a day.

3. paleochick

paleochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Southern California
    Not yet financially, but they have more than paid for themselves in the fun I have had watching them grow and put up with my daughter's playing with them.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't have chickens but I do have various waterfowl breeds. I don't come close to breaking even but I do enjoy having them around.

5. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks for posting. And Kevin too, about the water fowl. I would be interested in hearing about any fowl.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Nope. Not even close. But I process mine for myself and don't have enough yet to sell eggs/chicks/ducklings etc. My birds go in my freezer, not someone elses. LOL

I actually don't think many small time folks make money. You need to have a large number of birds in order to have excess to sell/process. Though I do see crazy prices for "pasture raised" (whatever that means these days) birds on craigslist. I just saw a local ad saying that a pasture raised chicken, processed would be about $15 for the whole bird. That is WAY more than organic at the grocery so I don't know how well those people do. If you can get a following then you may be able to do well.

I remember watching a cooking show recently (Chopped on Food Network) and one of the secret ingredients was Araucana eggs. One of the chefs was saying of they are so much better and so much richer than regular chicken eggs. I thought it was hilarious. They are just chicken eggs that are green or blue. But things like that can raise prices because many people don't research it.

7. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    In the thirty plus years we have kept chickens, many years they have indeed paid for themselves. Mostly egg sales and egg swaps.
    Some years, not even close - new construction, fencing, etc -- but run-of-the-mill years, yes.

8. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Interesting, thanks for posting. Keep it coming.

9. Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    East Central FL
    I find all this very interesting. We had existing structure that we built a very nice pen & then put in nesting boxes, etc. My hubby and I laughed that it would take us 10 yrs to break even for what we paid for all the wood, paint, wire, chicks and feed. But, if you add in all the entertainment and the education it gives the kids, then... I think it breaks even pretty quickly. [​IMG]

10. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I've only had chickens for about a year and I'm (or they) behind financially. So far the eggs have paid for their feed each month but I'll need to sell more to re coop the money spent on the coop and fenced off run. I'm sure they will end up paying for themselves after a few years. I've butchered a few and will probably get some more fryers down the road. Hell....they contribute more to their upkeep than my 21 year old son who still lives at home! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by