Do your ducks like their bill stroked?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Flyinbolts, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Flyinbolts

Flyinbolts Chirping

Aug 20, 2019
    West Michigan
    I have three distinct groups in my flock, the original pekin girl that is just a survivor. No bill strokes there.
    Have my khakis and rouen that had since attention and will tolerate it.
    Have my 3 oddballs that I practically nursed back to health that almost will put their bill in my hand and seem to relax / enjoy.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

My Runners did when they were younger now they are too grown up for stuff like that. Now my Muscovy drake I can pet his head Bill body he likes it!

3. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Crowing

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    I haven’t tried! Do you stroke the top or bottom or sides? The only duck that I have that truly seems to enjoy affection is my white Muscovy hen. She’s molting right now and just about as soft as can be! She seems to enjoy, or at least tolerate being stroked like a cat. I’ll have to see what she thinks of the bill thing!

WannaBeHillBilly and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Top of bill!

5. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Crowing

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    Thank you! I’ll give it a try tomorrow and she what she thinks!

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  6. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Enabler

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    I am playing a little game with Blanca Duck during the morning meal-worm frenzy: I grab her bill and gently pull it, she grabs one of my fingers and pulls back. The i laugh and she quacks and wiggles her tail.

7. Popcorntheduck

Popcorntheduck Chirping

Aug 23, 2019
    Mine doesn’t seem to mind it when he’s in a cuddly mood! When he’s sleepy he loves the top of his head stroked and will close his eyes and make little peeps :)

8. Flyinbolts

Flyinbolts Chirping

Aug 20, 2019
    West Michigan
    i kind of hold my hand like i'd be cupping food and instead of biting and nibbling they just put their bill in my palm and I can use my thumb to stroke the top of their bill.

9. Mama_Owl_3

Mama_Owl_3 Songster

Jun 26, 2019
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    While I am holding them the girls seem to tolerate it and the boys turn into limp noodles. If I stop the boys will lay their bill in my hand and push gently for more attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: