do your first time layers in September lay through winter?

Areyoucluckingme

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
This is my first time having pullets that have started laying in September. I'm curious if they usually lay through winter since they just started? I live in very northern US (almost to Canada) where it gets really cold at night in winter (-20 F) . My last set of chicks I GOT in September as babies and they started laying in January which I was really pleased with (they had hit 5 months) because it was still dead of winter. My seasoned gals all take a 2 to 3 month break in winter so I'm hoping for a light supply of eggs through winter....tell me your experience!

they should…but, I’ve had the experience when it’s so overcast for a long period of time, that they stop laying -and we have supplemental light in the coop, although we only have it on in the morning bc usually daylight is bright enough by afternoon and they go to roost at sundown. But, we’ve had fall new layers that will stop.

My first set I used supplemental lighting to keep up laying . The next set we're young 9 month old girls and kept laying somewhat. I think it depends on protein levels in feed, breeds, and hours of lighting. I feel it's nice to give them a break in winter but some will molt and take their own break.

This is my first time having pullets that have started laying in September. I'm curious if they usually lay through winter since they just started? I live in very northern US (almost to Canada) where it gets really cold at night in winter (-20 F) . My last set of chicks I GOT in September as babies and they started laying in January which I was really pleased with (they had hit 5 months) because it was still dead of winter. My seasoned gals all take a 2 to 3 month break in winter so I'm hoping for a light supply of eggs through winter....tell me your experience!
They should but may depend somewhat on the breed.

I have noticed certain breeds lay better through winter their first year, as their body is just figuring stuff out. Keep in mind the cold does not effect laying, the light cycle does. As the days grow shorter, it signals them to take a laying break. As the days get longer they will start laying more frequently. :)
Factory farms and large scale farms typically supplement light in the winter to maintain an egg supply. I prefer to let my girls take a good break from laying.

There is laying, and there is really laying. Less light = less laying. More light = More laying.

So technically - if a bird lays three times a week - she is laying, add more light, and she will lay more often.

I am pleased with your report that chicks hatched in September, will lay come January. I picked up chicks in August and think they are about a month out of laying. So that is hopeful.

Back
Top Bottom