Do your roosters crow when your ducks quack?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by desertskynm, Jan 25, 2011.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Hi everyone,

I asked this question in the duck section but got little response.

I have been thinking of getting pekin ducks- but I am concerned my usually quiet (extremely!! except for a morning wake up call) rooster will become more vocal if the noisy pekings are around.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you in advance,

Misty

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Yes. Then the guineas and peafowl pitch in, too. With luck the dogs will bark, also. But, hey, I live in the boonies and I don't mind. [​IMG]

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    No, but my dogs bark. The ducks quack whenever someone comes in the driveway (and any other time the urge strikes them [​IMG]) so now the dogs get excited thinking they have a visitor when ever the ducks start up [​IMG] The roos could care less. I think pekins make less noise than the call's that I have.

4. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

No but my one tom turkey gobbles when the roosters crow. He has it timed perfect and gobbles right at the instant the crow stops. Drives me crazy because I can sleep through the crows, but not the gobble and I have a bunch of roosters crowing.

The chickens and ducks do seem to pay attention to each other's warning sounds, but not the other sounds.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No, my roosters don't pay any attention to the ducks quacking at all.
    Now when the roosters sound the alarm, my ducks always go diving for cover.

6. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    My roosters crow when we chop wood or hammer...every stroke.

7. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    My rooster, Cyril, crows whenever any of the dogs bark in the neighborhood. He thinks he's a watchdag because he crows whenever anyone comes up the path toward the house and he crows when they leave also. If we are foolish enough to stand outside talking to anyone, he joins right in the conversation LOUDLY!
    [​IMG]

8. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    I have 20 ducks with a chicken flock that includes 17 roosters, 14 guineas and 2 geese. I don't find my ducks respond to the roosters crowing, but do chime in from time to time when the hens sing their egg song. They also pipe up if the guineas are making alarm calls from sighting a hawk, etc.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine don't, but the roosters crowing get the doves to start cooing [​IMG]

10. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences! Though I am still on the fence... Some do, some don't. Well, my rooster seems quiet by nature... Might be worth the chance...

If I am wrong- freezer camp or craigslist!

Cheers,
    Misty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by