Do your silly chickens like to eat styrofoam?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bwebb7, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    OK
    Miss Prissy and a few others are doing beautiful eggs for the tree. I am a copy cat. (remember the sincerest form of flattery?)
    So I blew out the first eggs of my life, (46) and washed, dried and microwaved. I then put them on skewer sticks and stuck it in styrofoam (as my idol instucted) and painted them. A beautiful copper by the way. I thought I would put them out in the sun to dry. (good idea huh?) Nope! Those silly girls! They walked thru to the front yard and commenced to pecking and pecking the styrofoam base. I heard a strange bunch of noises coming from out front. I looked through the blind and there were my beautiful eggs bouncing all over the planter! All the while, these crazy rogue hens were pecking away at the styrofoam. I think the eggs are all right, but that could have made me a crazy person!
    I guess they will dry indoors!

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I think all chickens eat styrofoam when the opportunity presents itself.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Like it? It's like their own form of crack. [​IMG]

4. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if their eggs are "lighter" when they eat it?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    My chickens used to peck it ALL the time when they were open to it. Now they cant get to it [​IMG]

6. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I used to have a little giant incubator (notice I said used to!). I washed it one day set it out to dry, I heard some weird noises outside the kitchen window, looked out, didn't see anything. A few hourse later, went out to get the bator, snow everywhere!, They had destroyed the whole thing. So, yes, my chickens love it (chicken crack, lol)

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You see, you're not alone! My girls do the same thing. Sure wish I knew why though? [​IMG] Crazy chickens!!

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've never known a chicken that wouldn't eat styrofoam. No idea why they love it so, but they do.

.....Alan.

9. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My chickens will eat anything they can get their sorry little beaks around XD Including, evidently, one wing-nut, a washer, and the freckles off my arm (they only tried on that last one; didn't succeed).

EXCEPT the darn things won't eat squash bugs, which is one reason we got them! Ungrateful little buggers!

10. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

that's gourmet dining in the chicken world [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by