Docile or red flag?

pollita1622

Hatching
Apr 23, 2023
Hi everyone!
I’m a new chicken mama with 5 little ones now about 8 weeks old (2 easter eggers and 3 buff orpingtons). They were all raised together and ultimately spend each day foraging and lounging in the sun together. They’re all rather friendly and will head my way when I enter the run and when I sit on the earth, they walk and hop on me. There is one girl in particular that is extra sweet (We named her Goosie). She’s by far the sweetest and the friendliest. What I’ve noticed so far is that she’s regularly found/observed to be laying down..even while foraging! She soaks up sun regularly. My concern is that she doesn’t roost at night when everyone else does. She also is the only one at times who can be found on her own but I’ve yet to see the others “pick on her.” I’m hoping to confirm from this community whether this is purely (or simply sounds like) an individual quirk (similiar to humans!) and or whether this would raise alarms to others down the road when pecking orders show up. She eats/drinks just fine. She doesn’t jump/fly out of the coup like the others, I’ve actually helped her down many times as she happily hops on my hand. So my question is whether others have chickens in their flock that are simply comfortable being less active and are more interesting in lounging and having a bit more solitude. OR if this raises flags for those with similar stories/experiences. Thanks for reaching and your input! Best, S

Back
Top Bottom