Does a clutch of eggs increase the chances of a broody chicken?

Chicken12367

Songster
5 Years
Oct 11, 2016
UK
I’ve had Orpington’s in the past that have gone broody with no eggs in sight. But I was wondering, if you were to leave a clutch of eggs in the nest box would this increase the chances of a chicken going broody? Thanks

yes it would. Conversely, if you don't want a broody, you should collect eggs regularly several times a day so there is no clutch visible.
Currently I collect the eggs everyday, but I wouldn’t mind a broody so I might start leaving a clutch of eggs out and see if has any effect. Thanks 😊

We wanted our buff orp to go broody again this summer too. Last year she sat in early June, so was hoping for around the same time due to the weather being cooler. Nothing was happening by 6/20 so I left some porcelain eggs in her favorite nest box and 3 days later she was broody! Now just waiting for them to hatch, hopefully Tuesday. Good luck!

We wanted our buff orp to go broody again this summer too. Last year she sat in early June, so was hoping for around the same time due to the weather being cooler. Nothing was happening by 6/20 so I left some porcelain eggs in her favorite nest box and 3 days later she was broody! Now just waiting for them to hatch, hopefully Tuesday. Good luck!
I’ve ordered some dummy eggs and will leave them in the nest box to see if any of the girls decide to go broody. If not I’ve got an incubator which I could use, but I love seeing hens walking around the garden with their chicks 🐥. Good luck with your hatch 🐣!

I’ve had Orpington’s in the past that have gone broody with no eggs in sight. But I was wondering, if you were to leave a clutch of eggs in the nest box would this increase the chances of a chicken going broody? Thanks
Yes, having eggs in the nest box does significantly increase the chance of brooding. And not having eggs in the nest box seems to attract only the highest broody tendencies.

Back
Top Bottom