Does a Muscovy hen need a drake to lay eggs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melody123, Dec 23, 2010.

1. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    This feels like an extremly stupid question to me since I regularly tell people that chickens don't need a rooster to lay eggs. But I spoke with someone who owns muscovies, who I may get some eggs for hatching from, who claims that a muscovy hen won't lay any eggs without a drake. She claimed that they wouldn't lay unfertile eggs like every other duck species on the planet.

I think that she's wrong, but I came here for some proof from some muscovy duck owners.

Anyone here have a muscovy hen and no drake, and still get eggs?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have Muscovies and have had drakes with the hens since day one but no you don't need the drake for her to lay eggs only if you want them fertile. I have never heard of that before.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Do you need to have a man near you to have a period? Of course not.

With ducks and chickens, they will produce an egg no matter if a male is around or not. With a male around the eggs will be fertile, but they are going to pop out regardless.

4. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a blue muscovy hen and see would just lay eggs and I did not have a drake in there with her. In the winter I put her in the flock with the drakes and other hens and they don't breed in the winter where I have them but in the spring they will start a laying

5. melody123

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Thanks, this Lady thinks that she's the Muscovy expert and was extremely confident in her answer. And I couldn't really find anything about Muscovies needing a drake to lay anywhere on the internet.

6. melody123

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:????? I never referred to your age or gender. Only about the woman who I spoke to at my Tuesday night market. If your able to dress up and drive your eggs to a Tuesday night market in Oregon, and look like a 40-year-old woman, then your quite the expert in makeup.[​IMG]

7. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

That is ok I got confused when you said that

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Some woman seem to need a man to have a period. Perhaps it is true with ducks? Who knows.

In todays world everything seems to be possible.

Anyway mine (ducks) talk with human voices on Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    No pascopol Every woman has to have a man near them to have a period so they can have someone to yell and hollar at . [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] oh yeah MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  10. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    will a muscovy lay in the winter because i have had 3 for a week and have not got any eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by