Does a roo need a wife?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickPeas, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    We have 3 bachelors who will be 2 years old in March. We have one bantam roo that stays with 6 hens. The bach's are housed by themselves but they can still see and interact with the girls through the fence. Periodically Lily, one of the hens, will fly over and mingle with one of the roos. [​IMG] They seem to be fine with her..they dance, chase her around but mostly they enjoy her company.

Would it be beneficial for them to have a "wife", a single hen that is housed with them? They have plenty of room to share, so space wouldn't be an issue. I just want to them to be happy, well adjusted chickens.

What are your thoughts? Should roos have a hen or are they ok on their own? Two are really friendly, one is a maniac-do you think a girl would make them nasty and the mean one even meaner?

Thanks all!!

Clarification...it would be one roo and one hen housed together. That would make 3 pairs. 1 hen per 1 roo.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    A single hen would be "spread too thin" for lack of better words between 2 roosters, IMO. I don't know if she would be able to stand up against the constant mounting.

I would consider getting 1-2 hens per roo.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'd leave them on their own. One hen with three roos full time and there will be fights and a very plucked and overbred hen.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with the others. Lily may have taken a shine to one of the boys, but she doesn't know what she's getting herself into. [​IMG]

5. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    I guess I didn't make myself clear! I'm sorry! [​IMG] I would get one hen for each roo. The boys are housed separately so it would be one hen per roo. Not one hen per three roos.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Hmm, might work. I have too many roos right now and the ratio is 1/3 and my hens are still overbred and losing feathers. My roos are all teenagers though so your boys might be more gentlemanly than hormonal. [​IMG] You could try it, though a 1/2 ratio might be better.

7. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Every roo needs and deserves a wife! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by