Does a rooster really help?

Bitter Farm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
We just got into the "chicken business" when a friend moved and we got the flock. We now have 7 hens, 1 rooster, and 4 chicks (9 weeks old and raised indoors). I'm not sure I'm a fan of the rooster, and I don't know if our neighbors will be for long either. He's a bantam (we have 1 bantam hen the rest are big) so he's not too loud but I'm wondering if he is worth keeping around. Eggs are our goal, so do Hens lay better with or without a roo? Does age of the hens (2 are about 3 years old) matter so much if there is a roo around, do they lay for longer if there is a man around? We also have one hen that is being bullied and I've heard getting rid of the roo can help her too. What are you experiences.

Hens will lay with or without a roo. The only impact they can have on production itself is a negative one if you have a roo that's too aggressive with the girls, or injures them. So if you are not breeding, nor free-range your hens, I personally don't see a purpose to having one.

It is true that a GOOD rooster will watch out for the girls, break up fights, protect chicks, etc. However, it can be hard to find a good one, and harder on your flock while you do. If you free range, a good roo will watch the skies for predators and sound an alarm (a bad roo will just run for cover, leaving the girls exposed).

Deciding to have a roo is a personal choice. Usually I'm so protective of my ladies that I don't put up with a second of some dumb boy stressing them out by chasing them, pulling feathers, spurring, etc. Then again, when I start a breeding program, they'll be a necessity.

I question the protection ability of a banty roo? But maybe.

You do have some older hens, and they will quit or cut way back on laying as they age, without or with the roo.

I question the protection ability of a banty roo? But maybe.

You do have some older hens, and they will quit or cut way back on laying as they age, without or with the roo.
Yeah, he's small. He looks awesome, but right now I'm afraid he's just eye candy. If he won't help the hens continue laying I'll probably get rid of him...anyone want a bantam rooster? :)

I also have a bantam roo. He is great. Very nice. Not to agresive with the hens (except they all have the same little bald spot on the back of their heads.) Because of his size he is not at the top of the pecking order but will always break up a fight even if it means he gets a beating from a big girl. But they do make for some great eye candy!

Back
Top Bottom