Does a smaller egg taste better?

gotchooks?

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Southeast Michigan
My kids only request the smaller eggs for breakfast...and a lot of 'em. My son tells me they have more flavor. At first, I thought it was because they really wanted to eat the cool looking blue eggs, but they pick out smaller brown ones too! I also notice that when I crack them open, they're prettier...There's a pleasing yolk to white ratio, where with the large or jumbo eggs, there's alot more white.

The hens laying medium sized eggs are all standard sized hens (EEs and one of my ISA browns). They all eat the same feed and forage.

Does anyone else notice a difference in flavor? Or are my kids just putting me on?
roll.png

Well, for us, the smaller eggs taste better because we've waited for what feels like FOREVER to get them!

Anticipation can make anything taste better (tomatoes ripening on the vine, for example), add that to the fact that you've got an incredibly fresh, thoughtfully cultivated, and dainty product (didn't every emperor demand quail eggs in weird ways?)...and, well, why wouldn't the little ones "taste" better?

-Christian
(who got to enjoy a _double_yolker_ first ever home raised egg today!)
woot.gif

smile.png
I thought I was just imagining it myself, but I think you're right. Our banty's eggs seem richer than the Light Brahmas, the yolk to white ratio is alot different! They sit so cute in the pan too, the yolk so small but perfectly round. I think they're more fun to eat when they're dainty too!

Kids also taste things differently than adults. I never cared much for broccoli as a kid but I love it now. I bet they are picking up nuances that the rest of can't.

if anything its the freshness,kids always like the smaller things or at least mine did,Id always have to say such like,get the bigger longer pig it will grow bigger hams and more bacon,but Dad the little ones are so cute,kids, gotta lovem

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom