Does any have or had green tree frogs???? :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Morri, May 21, 2010.

1. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Ok so i have a few questions as i would love to aquire a gtf but have a complete newbie at frogs so.......

1. I have a square tank (1.5 foot width. 1.5 depth) and 2 foot high... so its a tallesh tank - would this be enough room for one gtf??

2. How often do they need to be fed as adults??

3. How much did u pay for your gtf?? i think over here they are between $10 and $20.00 is that cheap??

4. Over here you need a General Private Wildlife Basic LIscence" what type or liscence do you have - how much did it cost??

5 How much did u spend setting up the tank??

ANY info would be appreciated and very helpful!! THanks [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Well it has been many years since I had frogs. In the states we do not need a licenose to keep them. Fed crickets every day or other day. The more space you can give any living creature, the happier they will be (they are use to living in the great outdoors - even if bred in captivity). I do not think they were even $10 when I had some, maybe $5, but again it has been many years (probably longer than you have been alive [​IMG] )

Research is good. [​IMG]

3. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Hwy thanks a heap [​IMG]

I was starting to think i was the only one in the world wanting to own one!!!!!..... that info is helpful so thanks again.... wow your lucky not having to need a liscence to own one! and their native here so that weird that we need a lescence.... maybe thats why tho...

I have been researching lol now to convice my family having a frog added to the managery will be beneficial... any tips?? [​IMG] haha

4. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    We have a 60 gallon aquarium.....I put tree branches in there and a potted plant with some mulch in one corner. I mist the tank with warm water every other day and feed gut loaded crickets every 2-3 days. I buy about 2 dozen crickets at a time and put a slice of sweet potato or a couple baby carrots in the tank with the crickets, yes my pet's food even has it's own tank. [​IMG] Anyway, I also have 2 fire bellied toads (which I LOVE) and if you feed the crickets something orange it will help keep the bellies orange....they tend to fade in captivity.

As far as the tree frog goes though, I try to change the stuff in the tank about once a month.....take out all the branches and mulch and replace with new....I always keep a small shallow bowl of water in there too, they drink through their skin. Ours in in my 5 yr old DS's room and he loves it......we play "find the tree frog" every morning [​IMG] The initial set up is the most costly thing but once it's done it's done.

5. ice_maiden_79

ice_maiden_79 New Egg

May 4, 2010
    midcoast maine
    i live in maine and paid close to 30 for mine threw the local pet shop and i didnt need a liscence to keep them.the most importand thing to remember is to keep them hydrated.not soaked but misted.they are very easy to care for and can live quite a while with proper care.they like bigger tanks but depending on how many u keep smaller is fine too.mine were most active at night and feeding time and i handled them all the time,,, just remember to wash ur hands after holding them.just a caution if u get more then one then make sure they are the same size cause big ones will some times eat small ones in the tank.

6. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I have kept many frogs, most are very easy as long as their setup is good, they stay humid enough, and they don't get too hot or cold. Remember they are a look but don't touch pet, and be careful with the water you give them, they are very sensitive to everything in their environment. Keep on researching there is a ton on info out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by