Does any one know how to make a splint for a baby?

ZoeS95423

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Okay, So recently one of my trout indian runners hatched, and it was having difficulties, people on the incubation board recommended that I help him, and I did. He is out and about now, active (well tries to be) and peeping, drinking water ( with gatorade, and some niacin in it) hasnt eaten yet, but he has something wrong with his leg.. when he was in the egg, it was basically wrapped around his neck for almost 24 hours, and he was having problems getting out of the egg. Now that he is out, its kind of twisted and he is having problems standing.

Anyone know how to make a splint for a baby duck?

You can see his leg thats messed up.
87164_sam_0141.jpg

87164_sam_0127.jpg

Last edited:
When did he hatch? I haven't had any problems like this but I have seen others that have said that they just need a bit of rest time and usually it will right itself. Hopefully someone comes along that can help you with this. I just love ducklings
smile.png

I would leave him alone for now and see what happens. A lot of times, the legs heal themselves after a few days. He just needs some rest and time to heal! That's a long time to be stuck in an egg!
I had one with a leg problem like that. I left him alone because he was getting around well enough to eat and drink. I kept one duckling with him because I was afraid that too many would trample him, but I didn't want him to be alone.
He had a bad leg for about two weeks, but then it very slowly started to correct itself. I was expecting him to be a mutant, but now he looks just like the rest!

Good luck with yours, just try to keep him comfortable and make sure he can get to food and water. And I would give him a couple of days at least, before I tried to correct it for him. You just never know, sometimes they fix themselves!

Im not so sure he is gunna live... he keeps getting stuck on his back, and cant move. I help him drink everytime I get the chance, just incase he hasnt drank himself... But I dont know.

Back
Top Bottom