Does any one know where to get african pygmy geese

Quote:
If you want small ducks right now there are two species that I know are for sale here and there, the ringed teal and the fulvous ducks. Both are small, the teal is from South America and has no breeding plumage, in other words the males are very attractive all year round. The fulvous ducks are very small ducks from India and are a very pretty brown with white and black spotting on both males and females.
Prices range from $30 to $80 per pair so they are affordable. Both are very good fliers so if you don't have a flight cage I would have them pinioned, if you just clip the wings and they leave they will not come back. Both as far as I know also breed in tree hollows but are common in private collections so they must take raised nest boxes as a substitute. There are some other tropical teals available but since you were just in the looking stage these were what I found with a quick phone call.

I already breed and own alot of stuff ringed teal fulvous manddies white faced woodies common shels etc. And others but i have good expirence and want to get into exotics a ton more and im really wanting to get the pygmys within the next months possibly

The ONLY place that has them for sale is Sylvan Heights for 3000 a pr like philter said. Period. I researched this hard a coupla months ago. When you have the money they have your birds. Several prs. If you get em good luck with em and post some pics of them and post some photos of your pens and birds anyway. I cant remember seeing any of them. I love to see pics of peoples pens and birds
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Ok ill do my best i have an ipad and i cant really because they dont really make apple cameras but i have an 8 x 12 aviary a 6 x 5 chicken coop and a flight pen ( dont know demensions ) with plants and a pond but do you know what their care is in captivity and who do i need to talk to at sylvan

Philter pretty much told you their care already. Mike Lubbock is the main guy at Sylvan. But I dont think I would bother calling him till you are truly truly serious. He's a very kurt and busy man as you will find out when you call.

Dr. Todd :

Sounds like the perfect setup for pygmy geese. I'd recommend getting several pairs.
thumbsup.gif

Without knowing how big the flight pen or pond is I can't say if it is a good set up or not, remember these birds do not normally come of the water onto land, they perch in trees, so they need a big pond with a very good filteration system to handle the waste they produce, along with logs and branches to perch on. I don't know about feeding either, they do not feed on land in the wild, they feed on seeds and flowers in the water but in captivity I am not sure how they are cared for. With that in mind you have to remember, they will destroy any aquatic plants you have in the pond, especially lilies so if you get a pair you need to be prepared to clean up the mess they make as they tear up the pots and plants that you have in the pond. I would talk to some zoos that have them and ask about the captive conditions when you are ready, captive animals do not always have to be kept in the same habitat that wild ones are, so a normally aquatic bird might do just as well on land in a caged situation. They are also very small ducks and from what I know about them shy, it is sometimes best to keep them away from other birds for a while to make sure they don't get picked on or become very stressed by all of the activity of some of the bigger more aggressive feeders. You say you have Shelducks and they are a much bigger bird and I would not put them in the same pen with pygmy geese. Another thing to consider is they come from Africa from the Sahara Desert south to South Africa and probably can't take cold water or winters, although I don't know about that for sure since the birds you would probably receive are captive raised and were raised somewhere locally in the USA.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of keeping them, I can't tell you how many times people have told me I would not be successful with a certain type of animal and I have over the years learned a lot of things about maintaining very difficult species, even breeding some of the most difficult species of reptiles and hard to breed mammals through lots and lots of research and talking to anyone who had even kept them for a short time. I am just saying to get as much information and set up the pen so you have the most chance of success.​

Roger on the imformation. I picked the keepers brain at Busch Gardens about their pair. They were kept with some cape teal and other small ducks but were fed Mazuri waterfowl pellets supplemented with a seed mixture. Pond was about 30 ft around with running water. The Exact diet at sylvan is mazuri waterfowl starter and millet.

Last edited:
Ok diet and living conditions seem hood for my setup and i am going to sell my shels and anything that would be agressive with them will be seperate so everything sounds good i should be talking to mike tomorrow

Quote:
Good luck and I really want to see some photos when they are settled in!!! It is a beautiful duck species and one I would think will be a highlight to any collection.

Back
Top Bottom