Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Kathy, what do you believe happened to my lice?

And I wasn't using the ivermectin as a wormer.
I bet if you had dusted them, then put them in a box on white paper towels, covered that box, you would have seen dead lice after 45 minutes. They can and do hide in feather shafts and you can't see them there. But heck, keep on using your ivermectin, and when you need more, I'll sell you an almost full bottle for cheap, lol.

-Kathy

Do you know what will kill them and stop them, old fashioned creosote!

I can remember my grandad doing his hen houses with it in the 1970s and he never had red mite or anything else. It stank like mad!

Unfortunately the EU have banned it in GB in 2003 but I heard Farmers can still buy it from somewhere but the creosote sold in DIY stores today is not the same as the pre-2003 formula. I rang the makers of Jeyes-Fluid .

The use of creosote was banned in Australia years ago, with good reason. There are many things our ancestors used in ' the good old days ' that were quietly killing them. Pay particular attention to the list of reported side affects.
I steer clear of DE as any product that recommends the user wear a respirator makes me suspicious.

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/SWA/about/Publications/Documents/796/CREOSOTE.docx

Kathy, I'm really not questioning whether or not a few lice could possibly be remaining. Even after a good dusting though, I'd bet there's still a few remaining as well. My birds were infested and now are not.

Dawg, the birds I treated are my breeders so the meat residual is of unimportance.

Ya'll are funny.
Both of you have probably stated in the past that ivermectin will kill mites, now your stance is that it will not. My belief is that it does and with good reason. I'm not so much questioning anymore whether or not it works, but instead looking for another theory as to where my lice went if indeed it doesn't work. I can understand if your stumped but there's no need to change the issue in question by introducing other potential methods or pointing out a con of using ivermectin by stating the withdrawal period. Every product has pros and cons. I wasn't hip on using the ivermectin but I certainly wasn't going to use the all magical powder called "sevin dust" that both of you tout so often (unfortunately). The problem was with/on the birds and the problem was resolved there. There is no need to introduce something to the environment that is so very toxic to so many things, but especially bees. A little bee that really isn't a part of the food chain and ask nothing of no one, yet it does so much for us.
Can you imagine how many tons of sevin that uninformed folks have used over the years? All this research trying to find where the bees are...hmmmmm

To members such as Kathy and dawg, you've shared a lot of knowledge that has no doubt helped a lot of people and this site is thankful to have members like you. So please take what I've stated as well intended as it was meant.

I noticed yesterday that a roo I had taken out of the breeder pens and moved to a hoop coop before I treated my mite/lice problem, is obviously still infested with lice. I'll be dosing him today with Ivermectin to see if perhaps the 50 birds I treated successfully last week was maybe a fluke. The outcome will set in stone for me whether or not ivermectin can kill poultry lice, or at least at the dosage I give.

Have any of you tried permethrin (sp)? I have tried DE for months with no luck and I tried Sevin once. I know this is a bit off the topic of ivermectin, but I have quite the problem with mites. Every time I think I have it under control it goes right back to junk. And all this flippen rain the past few weeks is having me about at the end of my wits. I now have permethrin in powder and liquid. I have sprayed the flock and the entire coop twice. In two days I plan to scrub the entire thing down and respray or powder or whatever other suggestion I could possibly use. If this doesn't work I plan to burn the whole thing to the ground and let them live in the bathroom.
idunno.gif

Kathy, I'm really not questioning whether or not a few lice could possibly be remaining. Even after a good dusting though, I'd bet there's still a few remaining as well. My birds were infested and now are not.

Dawg, the birds I treated are my breeders so the meat residual is of unimportance.

Ya'll are funny.
Both of you have probably stated in the past that ivermectin will kill mites, now your stance is that it will not. My belief is that it does and with good reason. I'm not so much questioning anymore whether or not it works, but instead looking for another theory as to where my lice went if indeed it doesn't work. I can understand if your stumped but there's no need to change the issue in question by introducing other potential methods or pointing out a con of using ivermectin by stating the withdrawal period. Every product has pros and cons. I wasn't hip on using the ivermectin but I certainly wasn't going to use the all magical powder called "sevin dust" that both of you tout so often (unfortunately). The problem was with/on the birds and the problem was resolved there. There is no need to introduce something to the environment that is so very toxic to so many things, but especially bees. A little bee that really isn't a part of the food chain and ask nothing of no one, yet it does so much for us.
Can you imagine how many tons of sevin that uninformed folks have used over the years? All this research trying to find where the bees are...hmmmmm

To members such as Kathy and dawg, you've shared a lot of knowledge that has no doubt helped a lot of people and this site is thankful to have members like you. So please take what I've stated as well intended as it was meant.

I noticed yesterday that a roo I had taken out of the breeder pens and moved to a hoop coop before I treated my mite/lice problem, is obviously still infested with lice. I'll be dosing him today with Ivermectin to see if perhaps the 50 birds I treated successfully last week was maybe a fluke. The outcome will set in stone for me whether or not ivermectin can kill poultry lice, or at least at the dosage I give.
Where exactly did I say that it wouldn't kill mites? If I wrote that, that was a typo. Just let me know and I'll go back and correct it.

After a thorough dusting, and I do mean thorough, there will be no living lice.

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is what I said about mites a few posts back:

Ivermectin 1% - ~$26 USD
Ivermectin Pour On - ~$20 USD
Neither of the above will treat worms in poultry effectively. They will treat mites, but not poultry lice.

Poultry Dust - ~$6 USD
5% Sevin Duct - $6 USD
Both of the above will kill both mites and lice on your birds and in the coop.

DE - Have no idea what it costs these days, $1/pound maybe, but I can tell you that it will not kill anything.

Safeguard liquid goat wormer - ~$20
Will kill most worms if given at the proper dose several days in a row.

For me the choice is easy, buy a wormer and powder that work on both lice and mites. Total cost - ~$26 USD to effectively de-worm and kill mites and lice. It's a no brainer, lol.

-Kathy

Have any of you tried permethrin (sp)? I have tried DE for months with no luck and I tried Sevin once. I know this is a bit off the topic of ivermectin, but I have quite the problem with mites. Every time I think I have it under control it goes right back to junk. And all this flippen rain the past few weeks is having me about at the end of my wits. I now have permethrin in powder and liquid. I have sprayed the flock and the entire coop twice. In two days I plan to scrub the entire thing down and respray or powder or whatever other suggestion I could possibly use. If this doesn't work I plan to burn the whole thing to the ground and let them live in the bathroom.
idunno.gif

If you start from about page 15 of this thread you can read about the effects of permethrin on mites. For the red mites I can vouch that it does work but you have to kill them where they live. Be careful with that stuff, it's definitely not a natural remedy as so many believe.

Back
Top Bottom