Does anybody grow NON-bearded broiler silkie hens???

samhahn

Songster
5 Years
Aug 17, 2017
If so, would you kindly post a few photos of showing waddle/comb? I tried to google but 99.9% of the photos are that of fluffy bearded silkies. I have heard that non bearded silkie hens have prominent waddles compared to bearded silkie hens. Out of 10 sr silkie chicks, I got rid 7 silkies due to very prominent waddle and comb development at early age between 1-3 month along with roo like behaviors. It appear that the "bantam" silkies I got seem to be broilers silkies since they grew up very fast. They were as big if not bigger than my 3 1/2 year old silkie at 10 weeks.

At 4 1/2 month, I see another silkie with prominent comb and waddle development and remaining two with some comb and waddle growth. At this point in time, I am thinking to myself that comb and waddle development can't be the only main indicator for non-bearded silkie roo. I can't be that unlucky to have 10 roos out of 10 sr chicks or am I?!?

If so, would you kindly post a few photos of showing waddle/comb? I tried to google but 99.9% of the photos are that of fluffy bearded silkies. I have heard that non bearded silkie hens have prominent waddles compared to bearded silkie hens. Out of 10 sr silkie chicks, I got rid 7 silkies due to very prominent waddle and comb development at early age between 1-3 month along with roo like behaviors. It appear that the "bantam" silkies I got seem to be broilers silkies since they grew up very fast. They were as big if not bigger than my 3 1/2 year old silkie at 10 weeks.

At 4 1/2 month, I see another silkie with prominent comb and waddle development and remaining two with some comb and waddle growth. At this point in time, I am thinking to myself that comb and waddle development can't be the only main indicator for non-bearded silkie roo. I can't be that unlucky to have 10 roos out of 10 sr chicks or am I?!?
By broiler do you mean your going to eat them?

I have heard that non bearded silkie hens have prominent waddles compared to bearded silkie hens.
The beard makes wattles smaller. So yes, Silkies with no beards could have larger wattles than Silkies with beards.

The pea comb gene can also make comb and wattles smaller--many Silkies have this gene helping shape their comb, but some do not, so the comb & wattle size can still vary quite a bit even among ones that have no beards.

Pullets of any breed develop larger combs and wattles when they get close to egg-laying age, so at this age you might have females that are preparing to lay soon.

Unless they start to crow, or start mating with females, I would keep them a bit longer and see whether you get eggs from them.

Of course it's possible to have all 10 be males, but at this point I think you probably do have a few females.

Probably be best if you posted photos of the birds in question and many here can help you figure it out. I have not heard of a broiler silkie, I assume you are writing from a country where silkies are raised for meat? I know there are types of silkies bred for this purpose that grow quickly. 😊

The beard makes wattles smaller. So yes, Silkies with no beards could have larger wattles than Silkies with beards.

The pea comb gene can also make comb and wattles smaller--many Silkies have this gene helping shape their comb, but some do not, so the comb & wattle size can still vary quite a bit even among ones that have no beards.

Pullets of any breed develop larger combs and wattles when they get close to egg-laying age, so at this age you might have females that are preparing to lay soon.

Unless they start to crow, or start mating with females, I would keep them a bit longer and see whether you get eggs from them.

Of course it's possible to have all 10 be males, but at this point I think you probably do have a few females.
"Pullets of any breed develop larger combs and wattles when they get close to egg-laying age, so at this age you might have females that are preparing to lay soon." If that is the case, two silkies that seem to follow and hang around with Ari could be pullets. I could settle for 2 out of 10 at this point.

Probably be best if you posted photos of the birds in question and many here can help you figure it out. I have not heard of a broiler silkie, I assume you are writing from a country where silkies are raised for meat? I know there are types of silkies bred for this purpose that grow quickly. 😊
I am in USA. I bought "bantam silkies" from JM hatchery but those grew like crazy fast compared to 2 silkies bought 3 1/2 years ago locally. So I googled and googled and there were LF silkies which are mainly found in Europe unlike USA where 95% of the silkies are bantams according to google. Upon more googling, I came upon the term "silkie broiler" from purelypoultry hatchery. I wish JM hatchery change the description from "bantam" to broiler or LF since there is no way what they sold me were true "bantam" silkies unless I happen to get a batch of "giant bantam" silkies. And I am sure there are people who are looking for broiler type silkies. I just happen to be not one of them. I prefer my silkies small and cuddly though large and puffy isn't too bad either.

I am in USA. I bought "bantam silkies" from JM hatchery but those grew like crazy fast compared to 2 silkies bought 3 1/2 years ago locally. So I googled and googled and there were LF silkies which are mainly found in Europe unlike USA where 95% of the silkies are bantams according to google. Upon more googling, I came upon the term "silkie broiler" from purelypoultry hatchery. I wish JM hatchery change the description from "bantam" to broiler or LF since there is no way what they sold me were true "bantam" silkies unless I happen to get a batch of "giant bantam" silkies. And I am sure there are people who are looking for broiler type silkies. I just happen to be not one of them. I prefer my silkies small and cuddly though large and puffy isn't too bad either.
I have a silkie hen with a rather large comb and small poof is that the type you want?

20210315_175314.jpg

Unfortunately many of the hatchery quality silkies are not bred to any standard. If you want really puffy, small silkies, you probably would need to get from a breeder.
There are some here on BYC that are trying to breed LF silkies like they have in Europe.😊

Back
Top Bottom