Does anybody have Jersey Giant crosses?

Jersey giants have a pretty basic shape, like your "stereotypical chicken". So the crosses usually mellow any extreme traits in the other parent, that and add some size to it. For example I crossed my shamo rooster to Jersey hens and got chickens who looked like smallish JG with long necks and legs. Crossed with Ayam Cemani they looked like kinda fat , large AC. Crossed with brahma I got chickens that looked like brahma but not as fluffy. The chicken in the picture was a Ayam Cemani roo over a white Jersey Giant hen. As you can see, she looks like a AC but is less sleek and slender than a purebred and she will be larger when fullgrown. Shes 5 months old and already the size of her dad.

Attachments

• 20190706_172340.jpg
    20190706_172340.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 64
Well, i for one am interested! i have some JG and will end up crossing the roo on a Welsummer hen and a Black sexlink. It will be awhile but I'll report back. I'm sure it will just be a couple of nice big pretty mutt chickens that lay big eggs! What else can you ask if you aren't raising purebreds?

Alrighty, I possibly couldn't be the only person interested in seeing a mutt between Jersey and, well, anything! I guess another month or two of waiting for a response could benefit my curiosity, I just hope sooner rather than later.
I will be purchasing a month old ungendered JG and I already have a flock of red sex links and some Rhode island roos. Hopefully I can get back to these post within a year if I have crosses 😅

Okay, so I finally breed them, waited 3 1/2 months, now here we go....
JG x Leghorn - Pullet - Mostly white with very little black spots on back and black skin.
JG x Rhode Island Red - Pullet - 90% all black all over. Almost like a Ayam Cemani, but a bit more of a gray face.
JG x Isa Brown - Cockerel - Looked like jersey, but had few whitish lines on neck area.
JG x Cinnamon Queen - Pullet - Again like the rir, 90% black.
Also, the outcomes should be the same with an Australorpe rooster as well, just fyi.
Thanks for reading. Have a good day.
What JG do you have? There are black and gray like smoke color. I'm buying the gray one.

I just set some eggs in my incubator that dad is a Rhode Island Red and the hens are a few breeds to choose from: jersey giant, Rhode Island Red, buff Orpington, silver & gold laced Wyandotte and they had one amerucauna. I can’t wait to see what all hatches and I will post pics of the babies lol. Hoping I can tell them apart since they didn’t label the eggs for me!

I know this response is going up on a very old thread but...

When I think about making F1 crosses I think about which traits the variety in question could use improvement. I've not grown JGs but have read they get huge but do it rather slowly.

One the other hand New Hampshires are well known to be one of the fastest finishers of the heritage birds.

I think It would be interesting to put a nice meaty New Hampshire rooster on a meaty JG hen. Maybe we would get a faster giant.

Back
Top Bottom