DOES ANYBODY KNOW DICK HORTSMAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANNY

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO BUY SOME BIRDS FROM DICK HORTSMAN FOR 3 YEARS. HE ADVERISES BUT WHEN I EMAIL HIM HE NEVER REPLIES. DOES HE DO EVERYBODY LIKE THAT? THIS IS VERY POOR BUSINESS PRACTICES. IT'S TOO BAD HE HAS SOME NICE BIRDS. HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS KIND OF LUCK WITH HIM?

I dont know him personally, but at the end of the year, I emailed him about some of his wonderful Barred Rock eggs. He was pretty fast to reply, so that's my only experience with him.

Last year I bought some of his Orp bantams and he was easy to get a hold of. After awhile I wanted to get more from him and then it was hard to get ahold of him since then. However he is a very busy man, I think he said he was a judge and traveled alot. Maybe his emails ended up in the spam folder.

He got some hatching eggs and chicks on Eggbid right now.

I "email talked" to him several times at the end of last year/beginning of this year. He was always very quick to respond to my emails. Was very nice as well. As someone mentioned, he is a very busy man. Keep trying...his birds are worth it.

Yeah, I know of the guy. What a real jerk-off! He promised to sell me 30 Bantam Polish chicks, 15 Buff and 15 Silvers. He was going to bring them to the Delmarva Show. So I waited (this was in January, the show was in March). THen at the last minute he said he couldn't go to the show and he would mail me the chicks, no charge for the shipping. I sent him a check for $150 and waited. And waited. Then he sent my check back, no explanation as to why. I thought I had done something wrong and he was refusing to sell to me. Come to find out through a friend (spy), he didn't have them, he sold them out from under me to someone else, and I guess was too embarrassed to admit it. I was never able to contact him again. BAD, BAD business practice!!!!!
he.gif

Just because someone decides not to sell to you doesn't mean its bad business.... perhaps he had a better offer. Sorry, but I'm not going to turn down a better home for more money! Especially in this economy.

Just because someone decides not to sell to you doesn't mean its bad business.... perhaps he had a better offer

In my business, if I bid a job, I do it for the price I quoted. Whether or not I can get a better price is not even the issue. Once you agree to do something, you do it. Even if I make a mistake and underbid the job, I still do it for the price quoted. Then I just inform the customer that future orders will be more.

What this person did to fattie IS a bad business practice. While she was waiting on the order, she gave up other order opportunities. He wasted her time and went back on his word. Not only is that a bad business practice, it makes him a jerk in my book.​

Quote:
Well I hope life gets better for you two. To call someone a "jerk off" because of a single transaction that *may* have gone bad (remember you dont have the other side of the story) is quite harsh. Perhaps the birds died? Perhaps he decided to keep them? Perhaps he overbooked a waiting list and there were people before her? Until YOU are involved in a situation, you cannot judge, and I just dont see it fit to bad mouth such a figure in the poultry community with one persons loose interpretation of a transaction.

MY friend Janet called him on the phone and he TOLD HER HE SOLD THEM TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!!! How is that an "interpretation"? We are talking facts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom