My Serama Died over the weekend, can anyone look at the images and tell me possibly how?

I finally found a great image of him healthy. This picture was taken on Feb 16th so you can clearly see a big difference in his comb with this pic and with the other ones a few weeks later (see under this one) . Any ideas based on this new info of what happend? Before on 2/16/2024

2024-02-16_15-36-12_896.jpeg

AFTER a few weeks died on 3/9/2024. This image was taken on 3/6/2024 Even his eyes look droopy and tired. He looks exhausted or am I wrong? His face is even pale. I never really noticed it until now.

plumb comb looking worse.jpg

Last edited:
Hi , he was a lovely looking Roo, stunning colouring.
I can only think of frostbite.. or heart issues.
Could the temperatures have dropped below freezing overnight etc I know 60 isn't cold?
Bigger girls pecking at him ?
Stop beating yourself up we can all see how happy and healthy he was.
Chicken illness can strike out of nowhere.

Hi , he was a lovely looking Roo, stunning colouring.
I can only think of frostbite.. or heart issues.
Could the temperatures have dropped below freezing overnight etc I know 60 isn't cold?
Bigger girls pecking at him ?
Stop beating yourself up we can all see how happy and healthy he was.
Chicken illness can strike out of nowhere.
No one picking on him, the coop we put him in he is the boss. So did your roos comb look like mine did before they died if you can remember? Thanks for the thoughts... I am kinda done beating my self up, now I am after answers and a necrotopsy is not able to happen. I have other hens and want to make sure If I see their combs like his looked before he died at least I have a chance to save them.

Now That I compare the 2 images, I can clearly see his skin was pale as well compared to before. So what causes Pale skin, droopy comb and purple/blue comb, droopy eyes? Could this be a heart or liver issue?

Now That I compare the 2 images, I can clearly see his skin was pale as well compared to before. So what causes Pale skin, droopy comb and purple/blue comb, droopy eyes? Could this be a heart or liver issue?
Mine were not as black as the tips of his comb, mine were bluish purple..

Just wondering, how you came up with that diagnosis?
@Eggcessive I also wondered that. I looked it up and plum has no symptoms that are related. But I appricate the info. Eggcessive I know you are a big player on here. I have researched alot and I am coming to the conclusion that our Plum died from heart failer. it looks like he was losing oxygen and circulation, for the past 3 weeks, his skin went from bright red to pale, he was shaky, he was weak, his comb started turning darker, he was going on 3 years old and all of his siblings all died suddenly in their first month or so of life. I think he had bad genes. I feel bad as I did not notice the color of this skin until today when I compared 2 photos of him one from 2/16/2024 to 3/6/2024.. My area is warm, he was inside a cage during the night and out in the coop for the day. He had a healthy diet of fruits, veggies scratch and grains.

May I ask your thoughts?

I would recommend if you ever have a loss, to keep the body cold, but not frozen and to get a necropsy through your state vet as soon as possible. That is the only and best way to know what happened. I have no experience with Seramas, but know they can be delicate birds that may not tolerate low temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom