1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anybody know what kind of duck this is?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Poultry parent, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

hi! i have four 7 week old ducklings and 2 of them are pekins, one is a mallard and one i'm not sure of, he is the same size as the mallard, brown, but he had a wide white ring almost all the way around his neck. i was thinking maybe a mix? we got them from tsc and they don't tell you what kind of ducklings you are getting but they only sell 5 kinds, that are pekin, mallard, rouen, swedish, and khaki campbell. thanks!

[​IMG]

he is the one with the ring they are about 4-5 weeks old in this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and these 2 are from a couple days ago, i'm going to get some close up pictures tomorrow or the day after

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I'm guessing swidish or mixed

3. Poultry parent

he's brown though and as a young duckling he was brown

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    There is such a thing as a Chocolate Swedish but I don't think that's what you have, They have white bibs, not bands. Also Swedish ducks don't normally have bright;y colored speculum feathers on their wings. The brown color should be more solid too, yours looks like it has the same coloring as the other. Based on these pictures, I think you have two Pekin and two Rouen. A Mallard would be half the size of a Pekin; they only get to about 2.5 pounds at full size.

5. Poultry parent

the one i think is a mallard is quite a bit smaller than the pekins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by