Does anyone else feel uncomfortable....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just held this conversation. The mods have changed the rules and the forum topics to help smooth things over. The last conversation like this barely escaped turning ugly. I think we can all agree that what can be done has been done.

I didn't read that post, I just signed on this morning. Sorry if I'm not up to speed.

I just read a "personal prayer request" a minute ago. That's why I posted this question.

Last edited:
Diesn't bother me at all. You can agree or disagree, like other topics on the site. Just try not to take it personally.

if your not religous just dont read the post with the heading of prayer. wanting and not wanting religion are personal chooses and wanting to exclude them is no different than wanting to include them. easy to read a heading and skip it.

It's pretty much everywhere and there doesn't seem to be a way to avoid it. I stay in the "egglaying" or "everything else chicken" area 99% of the time, and religion still seems to crop up. Does no one else notice this, then? Loads of people have religious sayings or websites right in their signatures. I just didn't expect that on a chicken forum.

Please take this post in the spirit that it's intended. I don't mean for it to be inflammatory, but to let you know how I feel, and why. Maybe it can help us understand each other better.

Many of you are very committed to your faith, and I commend you for that. It's an important part of almost all cultures. I would never try to belittle your faith, or you for believing in it. By the same token, I would feel that I would get the same consideration from you.

I think that if someone is asking for prayers, and heading the thread in that way, it's great. I will probably offer prayers to the Creator, but might not participate in the thread. I pray in my own way, according to my culture.
When a person asks for Christian prayers, I would not read that thread at all, because it's obvious that they don't want prayers from me. If the thread itself indicates that it is going to be a religious thread I may or may not read, but would have to really consider whether I should post. (this has been a hard thing for me at times, but I am learning that it's necessary) But, if it's a thread that purports to be about chickens or some other topic, and suddenly becomes a forum for someone to testify, and to expound on their religious beliefs I am uncomfortable and offended. I am suddenly confronted with something that I wouldn't have read otherwise. I would be as uncomfortable if they had decided to talk about their sexual habits. These are personal issues that are none of my business.

As a non Christian, I see that there are a lot of others here that don't seem to subscribe to the Christian theology. But most of them seem to be reluctant to come forward with this information. It might be that we have been inundated with a feeling that unless we believe what you believe, we are just wrong. There seems to be an attitude that we should be open to accepting that Christian viewpoint, but that since the Christians are the "only ones who are right" you should not have to explore our viewpoint. That comes from Christian society in general, not just this board.
I've had very good people tell me that I'm going to go to he**. That's offensive to me. If my faith has no concept of that place, then I am not going to go there, and you can't send me there just by saying so. And I would never think of telling you that something from my faith will happen to you unless you believe as I do.

If you want to put scripture in your signature line, that's fine, it expresses your life. But if I put some of my traditional spiritual thoughts into my signature line I would expect that you all would respect that as well.

Quote:
you can't really complain that you're uncomfortable if you read the topic title and actively chose to pursue reading it..... its like seeing a hot stove and continuing to stick your hand on the burner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom