Does anyone else have a hen who growls?

ok, so great... i have two hens at least that growl at the top of their lungs from about 6: 00 am until 9:00 - fortunately peole here get up early like and all the tractor/truck/shift work noises and the mezzuin from the village below also activate in those hours... now its summer time, windows are open, the mezzuin starts at about 4:00 am, by 5 the hens are growling.... dogs start barking, neighbhor's birds in their aviary start make a ruckus, and it becomes impossible to sleep.

the growl is seriously annoying.. first, causei ts a repetative, wrongly pitched sound, very raspy nerve wracking, as opposed to the cooing of the doves, the bird calls, the fox barks, and the mezzuin which im used to hearing 5 times a day (they use an amplifier that often faces our village)... every once in a while the hens start the bawking... once in a while there is a sort of honk, but then they start the growling again.
they are not locked up in their coop, they have a yard and free access to food.... and i caught the onces that are the most vocal growlers, i check ont hem from my apartment (up stairs). fortunatley for me, the acoustics are such that my downstairs neighbhors 1/ use a electric fan in their bedroom and 2/ the sound travels up to my bedroom , i hear more of all the morning noise then they do because of it....

i thought that maybe its cause they are annoyed at waiting in line to lay in the community box (noone likes any other nest box ive tried several); maybe cause we dont have a rooster? anyway, the one alpha leghorn has the most horrible raspy growl. geranium the red pekin growls but hers has a better pitch to it. daisy the paler pekin has a bit more low pitched, more easy on the ears growl (i wathc her standing on their rock in front of the coop, while they growl)

but i have taken to throwing pieces of cucmber and cabbage at them throught their coop, from my window, to distract them. im in fear that my neighbhors on the other side of me (the not attached set of apartments next door) might complain, she is pregnant and will give birth soon,therefore will be at home and not at work at 7 a/m...
the neighbhors across from me are temporary livers (work for a year or so here, get small cubicle room, are temporary, therefore have no say in anything) and they do hear the growls but cant make a fuss... its me that is going crazy from it.
i htought cochin /pekins were not 'noisy' 'chatty' birds; they are less so then the RIR hens that i traded out due to even louder growling , squawking, bawking, and general fighintg, cackling, screeching, and agression, but still, not quiet by any means...
of course the neighbhor down from my set of apartments has quail and his males have been calling all night. i love the sound but other nieghbhros closer to him have been complaining...... its always something.l..

My neighbors will toss blueberries over the fence to my hens, and my alpha, Penny, growls the other chickens away. She also clucks at the mailman when the dogs bark at him.

So glad I found this thread. I thought I was doing something wrong and that my hens just hated me! The Buff Orphinton started it and now the whole group just growls all of the time, even some of the Roos. The Buff might have started it but my BJG girls are the worst......it is kinda cute though!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom