Does anyone else have a possesive chick?*UPDATE*

Bluebyrd

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Puna, Hawaii
My Easter Eggers are 4 weeks old and one of them "Athena" always comes to sit on my arm ( or flies up to my shoulder and proceeds to peck my eyes out...ouch .) If another chick jumps up on me it won't be long till she's there trying to sit on top of them and push them off. It's quite endearing, - is it because I'm the highest roost? or because I'm "mommy"?

My pretty Athena

32059_athena_4wks_hand.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing that's a little Roo. My friend ordered EE pullets, and one was that color and he turned out to be a Roo. Also, that behavior sounds like my RIR pullet, which also turned out to be a Roo.

Athena might become Athens?

What a lovely chick!!! I have a couple who are mama's girls. Actually, all my chicks love on me. But I wouldn't say they are possessive. I don't usually stand for that sort of thing. Even with my roo.

OK, I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing that's a little Roo. My friend ordered EE pullets, and one was that color and he turned out to be a Roo. Also, that behavior sounds like my RIR pullet, which also turned out to be a Roo.

I was kinda wondering the same thing when I looked at the picture.​

I was kinda wondering the same thing when I looked at the picture.

Uh Oh...she? has the smallest and lightest color comb of all my EEs. There are two I"m 99% sure are boys...I sure hope they're not alllll boys.
sad.png

Actually, all my chicks love on me. But I wouldn't say they are possessive. I don't usually stand for that sort of thing. Even with my roo.

Soooo, exactly what do you do to correct that kind of behavior?​

My 11 year old son is the most beloved-by-the-hens person in our family. All of our girls just love Mike and want him to hold them or pick them up.

There is one old girl (15 mos) who absolutely demands that he pick her up and won't tolerate him holding anyone else in her presence! He loves it.

So we don't do anything to correct it. He spends a lot of time with them and they associate him with all things good (and good to eat!).

TXmom and Sequin

YOU WERE RIGHT!! Athena is a ROO
hit.gif

I noticed one of my babies (only 5 weeks old) was crowing a few days ago and so I've been keeping an eye out to see which one....I never in a million years thought it would be her. But no doubt about it, I caught him in the act!

Whats worse is I think that out of all my 5 EE they must all be boys. She had one of the smallest combs.

th.gif

Well, perhaps ths silver lining would be that I have a really good excuse to get more chicks!!!

i have a very possesive hen. when i bought her she fell in love with one of my roos, and i can place another hen in the pen with her or she will tear them up. she wants him all to herself.

Back
Top Bottom