Does anyone else have a pre-fab coop, should I paint it, stain it???

lachie27

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
Hey I've got a prefab coop it was about $200 and I was just wondering if people could help me with these few problems I have.

Wood is starting to fade and look grey and yuck? Should I paint it or stain it for maximum life?
I'm currently using construction sand as run flooring and it is getting wet and smelly. Should I make screens out of shade cloth to stop rain wetting ground in the run? Should I be using something different in the run?

Thanks,
Lachie
prefabricated-chicken-coops-chicken-qpadt9vx.jpg

I built my own coop out of all salvaged wood and some of it of course was already in the shape you're describing. I went ahead and painted inside and out to maximize life. I had the paint lying around though. Since your run is a wood frame you may feel more comfortable using a stain since it's more ideal for decks and such. As for the run getting wet, I can't offer any help, sorry.

I learned the hard way that when those prefab coops claim rot resistant wood, it's not quite true!! My in laws ordered a cute little coop from mypetchicken, and while I absolutely love the gift, I regret not using a sealant of some sort both in and out of the coop. Now with the Texas rain and humidity it is now warping on the inside and out. My advice, use some sort of sealant in and out to protect it. I find these prefab coops use the lowest grade wood that does not do well in humid environments.
Good luck!!

I used 2 coats of Kennel-Seal by Agralife on all pieces of my prefab coop. It dries clear. I did this before putting it together since I knew it was poor quality wood. I also had to flash part of the roof and use silicone to seal certain gaps/holes.

I used 2 coats of Kennel-Seal by Agralife on all pieces of my prefab coop. It dries clear. I did this before putting it together since I knew it was poor quality wood. I also had to flash part of the roof and use silicone to seal certain gaps/holes.
Good to know. We are getting ready to put together our first coop (bought on sale at tractor supply) and my husband suspects it may need reinforcing the way a Walmart bookshelf or desk does. I was thinking of using leftover house paint so the coop and the house will match.

Back
Top Bottom