Does anyone else herd their chickens?

I use a whistle. They know it's dinnertime and come running. But, I don't see anything wrong with herding. You could also use a dog, but racing around in your chicken Ferrari might be more fun.
It's definitely more fun....although I've had to cool it down a bit since it tears up the pasture grass. :oops:

Oh yes. I herd chickens, muscovey ducks and geese as well.
13811-b8bf2b7034744e246c9fb291e2f7f816.gif

I've tried the rooster off side kick shuffle and just ended up getting my feet tangled up and falling over.
I would do a hackle flash if I could get the hair on my neck to stand up.
Done the hand waving, the chasing, the trying to bribe them out of some impenetrable bush they've mange to wedge themselves into with some cheese.
I've even rugby tackled a couple who seemed to think dodge Bucket Boy (that's me) was great fun.

I've tried the reasoning approach with a couple. They stood just out of arms reach looking at me. I would say they had to move to a new area and they would say they had just come from there. It got to the point with one where if I didn't cary her she wouldn't go.:D
Roosting time was and is rarely a problem. It's those daytime moves from one acre to another. Say you've seen a blood trail from one group and you need to look the lot over. You need to confine the lot to do this properly unless a wound is obvious and it's inevitably the chicken with the injury that doesn't want to be noticed or inspected.
A thin stick usually works well. Something strong enough not to break easily when poking around in a bush. A tap on the arse of a recalcitrant chicken doesn't hurt them and it does get them moving; the direction they move in requires some agilty from the keeper.:lol:
I have such sticks strategically placed around the place.

Last edited:
My hens are “trained” to come, but at some point they decided that no matter what treats I have, they’re not going to listen - especially when it’s inconvenient for me! I generally end up having to herd them especially when someone has hunkered down in a bush; I have to send my dog after them and once they come out shoo them into the pen.
My biddies (pullets) are learning to come but unfortunately the turkeys follow me everywhere and that scares them off.

I let my chickens and ducks out 3 - 4x per week to free range. They are usually let out late morning until just before dusk. Their ranging territory is about 2 - 3 acres around my house, pond, barn, and part of the pasture area. When it's time to go back in their chicken yard, they aren't always ready to call it a day... I used to walk around clapping my hands as the "signal" that it's time to go back to the coop area. About 2 years ago, I started herding them with my 4 wheeler instead... Now when it's dusk and they hear the 4 wheeler start up, they automatically start heading for the chicken yard... 😂 I inevitability get that one maverick on occasion who decides to go rogue and I need to go chase them down to remind them who's boss.

Curious to know who else herds their flock and how you do it?
I have always used a bread bag with a few bits of bread in it...I shake the bag and because they love this treat, they associate the sound with it. They come running immediately without fail...I only give them a very little and it works every time. Great for when I have to gather them in a hurry!

Oh yes. I herd chickens, muscovey ducks and geese as well.View attachment 3713348
I've tried the rooster off side kick shuffle and just ended up getting my feet tangled up and falling over.
I would do a hackle flash if I could get the hair on my neck to stand up.
Done the hand waving, the chasing, the trying to bribe them out of some impenatrable bush they've mange to wedge themselves into with some cheese.
I've even rugby tackled a couple who seemed to think dodge Bucket Boy (that's me) was great fun.

I've tried the reasoning approach with a couple. They stood just out of arms reach looking at me. I would say they had to move to a new area and they would say they had just come from there. It got to the point with one where if I didn't cary her she wouldn't go.:D
Roosting time was and is rarely a problem. It's those daytime moves from one acre to another. Say you've seen a blood trail from one group and you need to look the lot over. You need to confine the lot to do this properly unless a wound is obvious and it's inevitably the chicken with the injury that doesn't want to be noticed or inspected.
A thin stick usually works well. Something strong enough not to break easily when poking around in a bush. A tap on the arse of a recalcitrant chicken doesn't hurt them and it does get them moving; the direction they move in requires some agilty from the keeper.:lol:
I have such sticks strategically placed around the place.
I have rock piles placed in strategic places for the same reason. I don't throw them AT the chickens but when they take cover in the dense underbrush, I use the rocks to scare them the direction I want them to go... Works well for the few times I've been reduced to that route.... Buggers.

Back
Top Bottom