does anyone else use other animals to guard there flock

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lordofchickens 86, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    i use geese and have not lost a chicken to predators in 2 1/2 years since i got them. they do a better job than my pitbulls in the yard at guarding from people an predators.[​IMG] just wondering if anyone else use a different species of animal to guard?[​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have used Llamas, but I still had losses. But I know that I would have had much worse losses without them. I still miss my Llamas.

3. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    I have a guard donkey,it will kill any coyote or dog that gets to close.

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Quote:I was thinking I'd love a goose, but, guard donkey?! That's brilliant! I want one!

Ummm I only have a golden retriever, he has a big bark but would only do damage with his tail lol

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I used to have geese, but got tired of all the poop. They wouldn't stay off the blacktop.

6. annie yokie

annie yokie New Egg

May 13, 2009
    I'm in Australia and my biggest problem is snakes and of course foxs .
    I have guinea fowl who march round and round the out side of the pens like Sargent majors .
    Hysterical to watch .They also round up the birds and push them back in the pens when I try to let them out to freerange they even try to round up the dogs without much success .
    Love the Guard donkey:cool:
    I'm finding it really interesting reading your site and seeing all the predators you have .

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    just my beagle/basset hound his bark drives fear into all living creatures well at least he seems to think that way.(neighborhood cats and the occasional raccoon) lol:lol:

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Crows and blue jays. I entice the crows around with a few eggs a day. They are very territorial.

9. angidee

angidee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    Washington
    I just read about enticing crows as protection for chickens. Do you think they would be effective against hawks?

10. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Crows will not tolerate raptors in their territory. I've seen them gang up and run off bald eagles, hawks and ospreys around my place. The blackbirds chase off the crows. They really hate owls. On the negative side they might attract coyotes. Crow feeding calls are one of the calls I use to hunt coyotes, they associate them with dead animals/food.

We have a horse that does a pretty good job of running off coyotes. He ran one right into the electric fence a month ago. I was laughing too hard when the yote hit the hotwire and started yelping to take a good aim with my rifle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by