Does anyone feed chickens "the old fashioned" way?

I wonder how many people do something similar on a smaller scale. Someone made the great point above about average egg production being much higher than 100 years ago, requiring a better diet....but how bad a drop off in production (and bird health) would you see if you fed by going with a mix of free ranging, access to active compost piles, and food scrap?

For more than a few birds, it's unlikely one family could create enough food scraps on a regular basis, but by collecting scraps from friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, or local restaurants or grocery stores, I'm sure it would be possible to get enough.

I guess getting the correct nutritional mix (enough protein, for example) could be a challenge?

If you have a good forage base the egg production can be very good. Problem is most folks are not considering how to promote quantity and quality of forage.

Quote: x3

THere is a way to do this.

Remeber chickens were not the sole farm animal all those years ago but part of an integrated system. All started iwth good forages whatevery they be: apple drops, pumpkins, native grasses and shrubs. Many types of berry plants here in New England.

And yes a method to protect the critters. No coyote messes with my mare; but he will sneak thru and try for a chicken. WIth lots of birds on the look out aka roosters, that rarely happens. ANd a bit of strateically placed fencing sure helps too.

All about better food for us humans.

Having other types of livestock that produce lots of high fiber feces with a few seeds past through are also good. My preference is to have so birds can access areas with and without larger animals as well as cover patches. The feces contain gleanable edibles when fresh and can support insects birds can get into later.

I"ve been mulling this over and I can see benefits of feeding cracked or whole grains in a "farm" system of multi animals. Provides the reason for the chickens to scratchin in the poo, and spreading out that poo pile is beneficial in many ways. PRimarily to prevent kiling the grasses under the pile. SO spreading the pile has many benefits.

Pellets are finely ground. I'm rethinking this.

Back
Top Bottom