1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anyone feed egg shells instead of oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman17, Nov 1, 2011.

1. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    am I the only one?

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I do both. Eggshells when I have a lot and oyster shell when I don't.

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have always used ground egg shells. It seems to be better metabolized that oyster shells and its free free free. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:Ditto!

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No, you are not the only one.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine won't touch the oyster shell. It's dumped out in a heap in the run....looks kinda sad. They love the shells though.

7. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Thanks for the responses everyone! After reading a lot of the posts on here it just seemed like everyone was using oyster shell instead of the traditional egg shells.I guess I was wrong! I have one more question though. On the bag of standard laying pellets that I bought, it says not to feed oyster shells while the chickens are on the pellets. Obviously since I use egg shells instead does that mean I shouldn't feed the shells? Thanks

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, the one time I saw that, I believe it said to offer shells. I ignored it. Back feeding eggs shells is plenty supplemental calcium for our flock. For any extra boost, a handful of calcium carbonate mixed into the feed. We have bags of it for the farm anyhow. $4 for 40# bag. Cheap.

9. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I give mine the eggshells. Well, I throw them in the yard for the anyway. A friend of mine told me when he was growing up they had a ton of chickens and always did that...so I do too. They like them.

10. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    I keep both in the run as free choice. They eat both too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by