does anyone feed egg shells instead of oyster shells?

I have always used ground egg shells. It seems to be better metabolized that oyster shells and its free free free.
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Thanks for the responses everyone! After reading a lot of the posts on here it just seemed like everyone was using oyster shell instead of the traditional egg shells.I guess I was wrong! I have one more question though. On the bag of standard laying pellets that I bought, it says not to feed oyster shells while the chickens are on the pellets. Obviously since I use egg shells instead does that mean I shouldn't feed the shells? Thanks

Actually, the one time I saw that, I believe it said to offer shells. I ignored it. Back feeding eggs shells is plenty supplemental calcium for our flock. For any extra boost, a handful of calcium carbonate mixed into the feed. We have bags of it for the farm anyhow. $4 for 40# bag. Cheap.

I give mine the eggshells. Well, I throw them in the yard for the anyway. A friend of mine told me when he was growing up they had a ton of chickens and always did that...so I do too. They like them.

Back
Top Bottom