Does anyone feed their chickens suet blocks ?

I have fed them a couple this winter, both for the fat & the entertainment value since they only free-range when we're home with them. Fat isn't a bad thing in moderation.

I won't feed them suet blocks in the summer, but I think it can't hurt during the winter. And they LOVED it!

I got what is called a "Flock Block" at my local feed store. It's supposedly made specifically for chickens. My girls love it! They've practically decimated it in two weeks (it was a 12x12 block).

It was suggested I use it for times when the weather is so bad in the winter that the chickens can't get out of the hen house. It gives them something to do other than pick on each other.

I had another feed store tell me that the wild bird blocks (probably the suet one you're talking about) is safe for chickens. I just wasn't sure so I went with the Flock Block.

I suspect the "wild bird bell" --- wild bird feed shaped into the rough shape of a bell -- would work pretty well, it sure kept my silver EE busy enough that she didn't pace the coop nor try to dig out ... until she and the White Rock finished it off (I should have gotten them another)

I new someone who used to make it with an under the bedstorage bin for a mold & let harden turn over & then cut smaller blocks out of the big block!

I never really paid attention to what he used as a base?

If anyone could come up with something we could make our own with chicken scratch!

*they're made by rendering beef fat (melting it down slowly. Think organic beef if you decide to make your own.
smile.png

Thanx all for the replies/info.
Thanx Kaneke fer the bell idea, i jiiist happen to have one sittin in the kitchen and will give it a try.
RChicks, i'm all about makin things myself so i will definately give yer suggestion a try. In fact, now that you've planted the "seed" (pun intended), i will give a shot at makin all my own suet blocks now for my wild friends also.

Back
Top Bottom