Does anyone feed there chickens Mash?

Trough feeders are great if you place a piece of wire over them...this prevents standing, scratching and flicking of the feed. Easy to fill, easy to clean out, easy to see just how much they eat each day. Place them high enough that they come up to the chicken's chest for even better control of food and trough.

i use mash. in fact i use 16% fresh milled from the feed mill. my birds including my meat birds as well. i do however run into some issues with my flock on protein levels. my birds always need a little more protein about 18%. not sure why because i free range as well.
with my birds i free feed 24/7 never had any issues. it is true with the powder at the bottom. the birds just stare at it.

i have recently started fermenting feed ( layer mash w. alfalfa ) for the birds. the jury is still out on it. some people get great results for me it is so so.

Last edited:
Trough feeders are great if you place a piece of wire over them...this prevents standing, scratching and flicking of the feed. Easy to fill, easy to clean out, easy to see just how much they eat each day. Place them high enough that they come up to the chicken's chest for even better control of food and trough.
i agree bee. trough feeder are the best. i have little to no waste with them.

Back
Top Bottom