Does anyone get food from a Grocer?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SarahFair, Sep 23, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Does anyone get old fruits and veggies bread or milk?
    Who and how did you ask?
    Do you pay?
    Should I expect to pay?

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I get produce trimmings and old produce from our local grocer. I asked the produce manager. I've had no success with the big named places. You may have a hard time with milk. You could ask around at smaller places that are locally owned. I don't even know what they do with old milk...

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have had ZERO luck getting cast-offs. A lot of the stores have new policies and will not allow old stuff to be given out.

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:They have to throw it away. isn't that just dumb? When it could be put to good use and not wasted! [​IMG]

5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Hmm. Is Piggly Wiggly a big name?

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    if you go to a bread outlit store you can buy a whole tall rack like 100 loves of bread or more for $20

the zoo i work at gets old produce, meat ,bread and snacks for free from big y

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:They have to throw it away. isn't that just dumb? When it could be put to good use and not wasted! [​IMG]

It's a liability issue. You couldn't guarantee that a person wouldn't eat it and get sick. Then of course lawsuit city.

Imp- If your up to it, some stores turn a blind eye to dumpster diving. If you don't make a mess.

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:Ya the game ranch where I use to live goes around and collects. Its called 'Gettin the Greens'

9. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Ya the game ranch where I use to live goes around and collects. Its called 'Gettin the Greens'

Ha thats what we call it too !![​IMG]

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

that is what I think too. Even the fast food joints have to throw food away that is an hour or so old . . .think of what food pantry's or soup kitchens could do with some of that stuff. . .shame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by