Does anyone handfeed your broody mommas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kimber, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Kimber

Kimber Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    My ds came in and told me he has been feeding the broodys while they are on the nest, they apparently are eating quite a bit from him.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont have chickens but I dont see how it could hurt, Im shure someone else will have advice though.

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    You bet I do. She deserves all the spoiling I can dish out! I also make sure she has clean water and especially good food right next to her. So close, she doesn't have to move off the eggs in order to drink and eat.

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I do and she gets nice treats for being a broody momma. BOSS and cottage cheese and oatmeal![​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I don't hand feed, I think that is a little over the top. But I do put a big pile of feed mixed with some cracked corn right in front of her & and a water bowl very close by.

AL

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I give them a dish of food every morning, often with a dollup of yogurt. Some days they eat it all, some days they just pick at it; but I freshen it each day. This morning they got a bit of fresh baked eggs (our counter runneth over, when that happens I bake up a batch and the dogs and chickens get a little extra protein).

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

You can hand feed but you don't need to. If you make sure they have food and fresh water nearby they will eat when they need to eat. They will also get off the nest when they need to relieve themselves.

I have had three broodies, two in the coop and one in the woods. For the two in the coop they got by fine with having food and water available. The one in the woods was on her own. She disappeared one day and then about 28 days later showed back up. Then she disappeared again. The next day there she was with chicks following.

8. haycroft

haycroft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    UK
    i only had the one broody...i must admit i made sure she had fresh water at all times and took the water to her if i felt she hadnt come of the nest...and hand held abit of feed

9. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    I have a broody girl and go out in the am and just after getting home from work and hand feed her.

She's gotten nicer and doesn't growl at me anymore.

Hey it can't hurt. except I now have a spoiled momma...

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Boots I did. But she was a super sweetie about the entire thing. Blue 2 I can't. She is super protective and pecks my hands so I just make sure she has food and water really close to the nest and she gets up and goes to it whenever she chooses to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by