does anyone hatch Brine Shrimp or " sea monkeys "

gallon of warm water, mix in a good handful of aquarium salt and use a air stone to bubble and agitate the water for so many hours. they've hatched when the shells tend to float to the top when you turn off the bubbles. if you shine a flashlight threw the water you should be able to see movement of them swimming.

for me at least I would turn the bubbler off, let the shells float to the top for a few min and then siphon the water/shrimp out leaving the shells behind. then using a brine shrimp net drain off the salt water and give them a quick rinse. into the fry tank they went.

I hatched them out and raised them for my bettas.

What i did was get a 2 gallon tank with an air stone and i used Instant Ocean synthetic sea salt, about 1.5 cups of salt per 1 gallon of water. For food i gave them Liquifry baby fish food. It took about 2 weeks to get them to adult size.

I find that if you are just hatching out babies and dont want them to live long then use just plain aquarium salt.

i would probably feed half to my african cichlids. i would want to keep about half to see how long they could live.

my question is do they have to have a bubbler or an aerator in it?

There are two types of brine shimp. The most common one needs to be aerated. The other one does not. I used to take a 2 liter plastic bottle and cut the bottom off. Turn it upside down with the lid on and run an air hose to the now bottom or lid. The slopes on the side of the bottle makes the water circulate properly. Make sure to use non iodized sea salt. You can use panty hose to strain the shrimp.....

ive actually been debating this for feeding my cichlids...
do they reproduce quickly on their own (ie is it worth keeping a larger colony so they can keep replenishing themselves, or is it better just to get a bunch fresh each time and simply "keep them alive")

I bought a sea monkey aquarium kit for my then 7 year old niece and she loved them. I never considered growing them to feed my fish.... I get way to many good ideas on BYC!

How long are the dried eggs usually good for? I've been considering them, but I can only find a huge container of them.

Back
Top Bottom