Does anyone hatch the old-fashioned way any more?!?!?!

KirkKoop

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 6, 2010
My broody hen is on day 19 of sitting on her eggs! I am so excited for the upcoming hours and days...

I haven't found many threads on hatching with a hen instead of the bators. I'm am not real sure what to expect. I have her confined to a dog kennel in the main coop with cardboard along the inner walls. I also have a brood lamp above her to keep her warm. How long do I leave her in this setup after the chicks arrive? I have a larger enclosure for her and the babies after they get a bit older...guess I'll just wing it
smile.png

This wait is killin me!

There is another thread about broodies right now, so you may want to check it out. I'm an old-timer. Old way all the way with me. How exciting for her to be on Day 19. Are you pacing back and forth like a person would do in the hospital awaiting the arrival of your new borns? Isn't it a great feeling?

What are the temps where you are being as though you mentioned having a lamp? If it's not too cold, the mama will keep them warm. They will be under her butt all the time.
gig.gif
The chicks should be ok for a couple of weeks if they are in a dog kennel depending on how small or how large the kennel is. How many eggs are under her? How many chicks are we talking about?

What kinda set up do you have when you move them?

I sometimes hatch in an incubator so I can get shipped eggs and not have to worry about whether anyone will be broody at the time, but if possible I always hatch under the hen! It's much more natural that way, and the chicks end up hardier, happier, well-integrated members of the flock. Plus, it's so precious watching them interact with their chicks and teach them life skills. Nothing more charming to watch than a hen tending her chicks.
love.gif

Quote:
I have been wanting an incubator for so long just so that I can say that I belong to the "BYC Incubator Club" but I"m too cheap to spend the money.
gig.gif

Quote:
We are in southern Oklahoma...temps this week are in the upper 60's, lows in the 40's at night. We are down to just 7 eggs now, but the plan is to place some feed-store chicks under her during the night after the first hatch. The kennel she is in now should be good for at least a week I am thinking. Here are a few pics:

photo-5.jpg

photo2.jpg

From there, the enclosure I bought is the Chicken-Rabbit-Pen (60" L X 40" W X 36" H) which I plan to place right in the main coop as a way to integrate the chicks and protect them from the adults. We only have 9 grown chickens presently. They have a large coop and free range during the day. I'm certainly over-thinking the whole scenario but I just want to ensure the safety of our first real hatch!!!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Sure. I don't own an incubator and hope I never feel I need to buy one. In 3 years I've had 5 batches of chicks, and part of that time I had no roo. To each his own!

I have 2 broodies right now, an OEG (old english game) bantam and an OEG LF (large fowl). The biting-little-wench-of-an-OEGB had 13 eggs last time I checked, but that's been a few days since she likes to draw blood
hmm.png
I think her eggs are due around the 11th. The OEG hen has 11 eggs, 5 are LF 'yard birds' and 6 are ducks. The LF eggs are about a week 'older' than the duck eggs but I didn't have any space in my bator for the ducks and she had plenty of room.
gig.gif

So far I don't have any new broodies that I know of, besides a couple of my dove pairs, but I'm sure it won't be long before they start dropping like flies!

Quote:
We are in southern Oklahoma...temps this week are in the upper 60's, lows in the 40's at night. We are down to just 7 eggs now, but the plan is to place some feed-store chicks under her during the night after the first hatch. The kennel she is in now should be good for at least a week I am thinking. Here are a few pics:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/britkirk/photo-5.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/britkirk/photo2.jpg

From there, the enclosure I bought is the Chicken-Rabbit-Pen (60" L X 40" W X 36" H) which I plan to place right in the main coop as a way to integrate the chicks and protect them from the adults. We only have 9 grown chickens presently. They have a large coop and free range during the day. I'm certainly over-thinking the whole scenario but I just want to ensure the safety of our first real hatch!!!

Thanks for everyone's input.

I bet she's hot! You really don't need a light on a hen, even a hen with chicks. They are perfectly capable of keeping the eggs and chicks warm.

Back
Top Bottom