Does anyone have a Blue Star and is it as crazy as mine??

Are those two breeds the only way to make a blue cross bird?

There are plenty of chickens that could be used, and someone might have bred special lines that are not any breed we are familiar with.

Blue Sexlinks use the same sexing method that black sexlinks do (barred males, unbarred females.) So the mother needs to have barring, and the father needs to not have barring.

To have all the chicks be blue, one parent should be splash and the other parent black (=not blue or splash; does not have to be actual solid black.) So it could be a splash father and a black barred mother, or a black father and splash barred mother. The father could even be a Rhode Island Red (like so many other sexlinks have), and if the mother was splash barred you would get blue sexlinks.

As long as the parents have those particular color genes, any breed or mix will do.

There are plenty of chickens that could be used, and someone might have bred special lines that are not any breed we are familiar with.

Blue Sexlinks use the same sexing method that black sexlinks do (barred males, unbarred females.) So the mother needs to have barring, and the father needs to not have barring.

To have all the chicks be blue, one parent should be splash and the other parent black (=not blue or splash; does not have to be actual solid black.) So it could be a splash father and a black barred mother, or a black father and splash barred mother. The father could even be a Rhode Island Red (like so many other sexlinks have), and if the mother was splash barred you would get blue sexlinks.

As long as the parents have those particular color genes, any breed or mix will do.
My first flock was Red ( RIR x Delaware) and Black ( RIR x Barred Rock) sexlinks. I also have a Black Marans Sexlink ( BCM x Cuckoo Marans) I like knowing that I am getting only pullets. This Blue thing is new to me. It's very interesting!

That is definitely a good thing about sexlinks!

I'm glad someone thought of breeding these, because they've got all the good points of any other sexlink while providing another color choice :)
Yes. I would like to see more sexlinks in Bantams. You rarely see them sexed due to their delicate size.

Yes. I would like to see more sexlinks in Bantams. You rarely see them sexed due to their delicate size.
Yes, I would also love to see it.

I know how to set up sexlink matings, but I'm not the right person to have a hatchery that actually produces & sells the chicks. But every time I look at some hatchery's list of bantam breeds, I think about how they could just breed THIS one with THAT one and have sexlinks.

Yes, I would also love to see it.

I know how to set up sexlink matings, but I'm not the right person to have a hatchery that actually produces & sells the chicks. But every time I look at some hatchery's list of bantam breeds, I think about how they could just breed THIS one with THAT one and have sexlinks.
I saw this on Meyer yesterday

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-084211.png
    Screenshot_20210818-084211.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Lily (aka Dizzy Lizzy) today at 18 weeks old. She lost her tail feathers recently. I'm interested to see how they grow back.

Attachments

• PXL_20210819_173739632.jpg
    PXL_20210819_173739632.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 13
She's so funny 😂 19 weeks old. No eggs.

Attachments

• PXL_20210824_220919366.jpg
    PXL_20210824_220919366.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom