does anyone have a chinese crested dog?

Carole AM

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Goshen, Indiana
We plan to get a pup next week. It is a rescue from a friend. I've been reading up on them and understand that they need special care. Any other info I should know about?
hmm.png

My friend has one, and it is a doll!! She does need care when going outside. If it is hot, they WILL get sunburned!! So a sunscreen for babies is what she uses for her {little Sierra loves having it put on!!} and in the winter she puts little sweaters on her....to keep warm! I can actually cuddle with her, which is nice { I am SEVERELY allergic to dogs and cats!!} I wish you luck with the puppy, they really are wonderful dogs!!
love.gif

We have a chinese crested. Most of the genetic issues with them (teeth, skin) are more associated with the hairless/hairy hairless ones. Ours is a powder puff and his only issue is a flea allergy.

He's quite a character.

Please go to AKC.org - click on breeds - click on Chinese Crested. That should get you to the national Chinese Crested site. They will have a lot of info on the breed. You can do this with any breed. Each dog breed recognized by the AKC has a national organization. These clubs are independent of the AKC and set the standard for the breed, define temperment, discuss health problems and grooming as well as a wealth of info. You can also find rescue groups by state and a breeder registry. Best of luck with your pup.

I have a hairless, in the winter she wears clothes to keep warm. She gets a nice tan in the summer and is fine in everyday weather, but if we are going to be out alot in the sun I put sun block on her (I also put it on my white and harlequin great dane). If her skin gets dry I put some healing lotion on, usually after a bath. Not sure what else to say about them, they aren't much different then owning any other breed.
Zoepretty2.jpg

Zoe054.jpg

One of my sisters thinks she's ugly, and another sister is always trying to poof her hair up because it bothers her when it's flat.

Here is our new addition. His name WAS "Harry", but we need to change it. Any suggestions?
This was on the ride home with my DH in the back seat.

importedphotos00068ox6.jpg

importedphotos00069sn6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom