Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong with my chicken?

Patricia A.

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
So I noticed one of my Silver Spangled Hamburg's has been loosing her feathers. She is a little over a year and hasn't layed any eggs since I purchased her 5 weeks ago. At the time of purchase her and her sister were both extremely beautiful birds - seemingly very healthy. Now she is loosing feathers. The loss of feathers doesn't seem to be the result of pecking. These two birds are in the middle of the pecking order in my small flock of six. I assumed she wasn't laying because of the stress of a new environment. I also assumed she is beginning her molt - hence the feather loss. But this morning I noticed her foot would shake when she would stretch it out to step down. Each time she picked one up it would shake as she extended it back down. She also moved slightly backward and then forward - a few different times. I removed her from my flock because her movements are very suspicious. Anyone ever seen a chicken behave this way? And what do you think is wrong?

It sounds to me like she is going through a molt. She's be losing her feathers like mad and she'll look real rough-and comical-at times. She could do this for weeks to months. It just depends on the bird.

This is just a guess.

Have you checked both feet for bumblefoot? Any sign of swelling or redness?

Maybe some sort of nutrient deficiency, What are you feeding? treats? Maybe try vitamins and electrolites.

I agree that the feather loss is likely to be the start of molt.

The symptoms are kind of vague so far. Good that you noticed. Might be nothing. Here's some questions that might help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

Imp- Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom