Does anyone have a half blind chicken?

We have a six month old Buff Orpington that was born with just one eye. She has done just fine and adapted to monocular vision. Of course, that is all she has ever known and did not have to adapt as an adult. It hampers her a bit looking for bugs, etc. It is funny as heck watching her run as she turns her good eye to the direction she is running. I can't say how an adult chicken will adjust but, from reading all sorts of posts in the forum, it seems chickens are wonderfully adaptable creatures. We just watched Tufus (too ugly for us - she's not the prettiest thing) while she was growing to be sure she was getting enough to eat and drink and she has done just fine.

Edited to add that the rest of the flock of 10 birds have never picked on her because of the deformity. It did "weep" for a while while she was growing and we just kept it clean.

Last edited:
Quote:
We also had a one eye born kids call him Popeye
lol.png
Ugly as it can be and very funny to watch as he's always having to move his head to use his good eye but it hasn't slowed him down one bit. Give her some time and she will adapt..while she is though keep her in a safe environment where nothing can sneak up on that side like the kitty or dog..the other chickens should be fine with it.

All of my Polish are half-blind, some seem to be all-blind, but they do just fine. You can walk right over to them and pick them up and they never see you coming.
smile.png

She'll be fine. We had a one legged chicken, we currently have a roo with only one foot. They are amazing creatures and quick to adapt.

I had a Pekin girl lose an eye from a fox and she did wonderful. Yesterday we picked up our babies that we ordered from Ideal and one of the Favs has a bulging eye. She can close it but it's big. I hope she'll be ok. But I wouldn't worry too much about your girl, she should be fine
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom