Does anyone have a Lakeland Terrier on BYC?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
This may sound absolutely silly, but I have been obsessed with Lakeland terriers ever since I can remember and yet I did not even know what exact type of terrier a Lakeland was until yesterday. I have seen pictures of Lakeland Terriers from the UK, but I could never find exactly what breed was in the pictures. Well after placing another order for Rosemary & Co. Paint brushes based out of England (best paint brushes by the way) I finally decided to order a hard copy catalog as well. Lo and behold, pictured on the back was the Rosemary & Co. owner with her two terriers. FINALLY there was a breed caption that said they were Lakeland Terriers. Now to the point, does anyone on BYC own a Lakeland Terrier? I would love to hear your experience with them and see any pictures of you want to share.

Lakeland Terriers are one of my ‘one day’ breeds! They’re so gorgeous. They have a lot of similarities with Irish and Welsh terriers so they can be kinda hard to tell apart, (though all terrier breeds are very interlinked in their history).
I have no experience with them unfortunately! I have Jack Russells and Smooth Fox Terriers. But all terriers are such characters I bet lakies are super fun little dogs to own

Lakeland Terriers are one of my ‘one day’ breeds! They’re so gorgeous. They have a lot of similarities with Irish and Welsh terriers so they can be kinda hard to tell apart, (though all terrier breeds are very interlinked in their history).
I have no experience with them unfortunately! I have Jack Russells and Smooth Fox Terriers. But all terriers are such characters I bet lakies are super fun little dogs to own
I love all terriers too! Out of all the different dog breeds I've had experience with terriers are at the top. I currently have three dogs so I am not actively looking, but when the time comes I will definitely be looking for a Lakeland Breeder.

This may sound absolutely silly, but I have been obsessed with Lakeland terriers ever since I can remember and yet I did not even know what exact type of terrier a Lakeland was until yesterday. I have seen pictures of Lakeland Terriers from the UK, but I could never find exactly what breed was in the pictures. Well after placing another order for Rosemary & Co. Paint brushes based out of England (best paint brushes by the way) I finally decided to order a hard copy catalog as well. Lo and behold, pictured on the back was the Rosemary & Co. owner with her two terriers. FINALLY there was a breed caption that said they were Lakeland Terriers. Now to the point, does anyone on BYC own a Lakeland Terrier? I would love to hear your experience with them and see any pictures of you want to share.
We have one, 8 yrs old. Photo to follow tomorrow when I am on a different device. Ours is not at all like the stereotypical lakeland in temperament, in fact we often think he's more like a cat than a dog in behaviour. He's good with the chickens, most importantly. But I wouldn't leave him unattended with a child; he doesn't play with toys, he kills them, so it's not worth taking a chance.

We have one, 8 yrs old. Photo to follow tomorrow when I am on a different device. Ours is not at all like the stereotypical lakeland in temperament, in fact we often think he's more like a cat than a dog in behaviour. He's good with the chickens, most importantly. But I wouldn't leave him unattended with a child; he doesn't play with toys, he kills them, so it's not worth taking a chance.
Sounds a lot like my mom's Jack Russel. She's a nice dog with adults, but we don't leave kids unsupervised around her (she also kills toys). Can't wait for pictures:)

here we are, him lounging on the sofa like a cat
DSC00003.JPG

and him as a tiny puppy
P1140184.JPG

In colouring he's very similar to a Welsh terrier.

Lakelands are listed as great family dogs, so we were thinking of getting one. I'm on here because we have chickens free range in our backyard and want to get a good ratting dog to have around our flock and family, but I want to make sure it would be a good fit! I have too many homesteading friends who have had their dogs kill their chickens.... and also our dogs are family and live inside with us and our three kids. I guess what I'm asking is, do you have any insight or advice you'd give a person like myself looking into getting one of these pups? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom