Does anyone have a NICE adult rooster?

Our partridge cochin is a big sweetie too. He's lazy though! In the winter he doesn't get up to crow until about 8:45 am!

I hope our EE cockerel turns out to be as nice

YES I HAVE A VERY WONDERFUL ROOSTER HE HAS NEVER BEEN MEAN TO ANY TTHING EXCEPT ANTHER ROOSTER NEVER HURT THEM JUST CHASED THEM BUT WHEN TOLD TO STOP HE WILL. HE LET ME KNOW WHEN THINGS ARE NOT RIGHT.HE IS CALLED MR.SHEEP. WHEN HE WAS A CHICK HE WOULD SLEEP ON THEIR BACKS I ENJOY WATCHING HIM TAKE HIS LADIES OUT FOR A WALK AROUND THE YARD
42308_2007_1010image0078.jpg

I think ours is a great guy, but he's a roo. They can be set off by a colored stripe around the soles of a new pair of mudboots. Visitors and grandkids get to socialize with him through welded wire.

If he didn't contend for supremacy of the yard every few weeks, I'd worry about him (this behavior makes it easy to reach down and pick him up for `bug'/injury exams).
RoodBoots031910.jpg

He has never so much as growled at us while we're sitting down and will hang out or nap between us on the steps of the back deck while the girls preen before going to roost.
hanginout103108.jpg

ed:sp/clarity

Last edited:
I think you need to handle them from the get go if you want any chance at a nice gent, but there is always the chance that any rooster can become freezer camp material.

My Barred Rock rooster Vaca' is very sweet and gentle. Once he accidently got me with his spurs because a dog barked and scared him while I was holding him, but other then that I've had no problems. My Uncle in Lousiana owns a RIR rooster who is pretty gentle and is an amazing flock protector. Good luck with your boys!
big_smile.png

I probley got 25 grown roo's not a single one gives me trouble, they respect me and never ever try to bow up to me.

I am out with my chickens every day cause i am allways doing something here on the farm, i think i have good luck with my roos cause i just don't mess with them unless they are having problems of some kind.

I can walk by and pick up just about any chicken on my place cause they are use to me being around just like my dogs.

So i think that if you make a pet out of a roo you may be going threw the task of trying to reform an unrully roo or worse having to do away with them.

I am sure there are roo's out there that have been pets and never been a bit mean, but i read post here almost daily about a sweet little pet roo gone bad, and it is soo upsetting to the owner.

Hens are a different story, they don't turn on you like a roo.

One of the best roos I've ever had was a RIR. Very sweet, good and brave flock master, courtly to the gals, mannerly to me...smart enough to know who was boss roo around here.

The fellow I have now is the same, a Partridge Rock roo, 2 years old. Beautiful and has never made any moves towards me, not unnecessarily rough on the gals and a good flock master.

I wouldn't advocate making a pet out of a roo if you want one to stay on his good behaviour. You need to be his alpha roo in order to keep his respect and you can't do that petting his widdle head and feeding him num-nums out of your hand. I know it happens that many folks have nice roos that started out as pets but you hear many, many posts on here about pet roos turning aggressive and flogging the hand that feeds them.

Wow...the responses are great!I am watching VERY carefully for behavior changes...none so far...just a little of what I guess you'd call crowing...(it sure sounds funny!) I would love to hear more about nice roos. Keep it comin' folks!!

I have several very calm, even tempered boys, all different breeds. Handling a rooster when young won't make him sweet or make him aggressive; it just makes his personality come to the surface early on. If he is prone to aggression, getting very friendly with him as a youngster makes him think of you more as an equal and when his hormones rage at mating age, he will challenge you. If he is a sweetheart at heart, handling him won't change that at all. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
old.gif

I have a nice rooster he is 4 months and is big. He will come to you if you clap and will hop on your back if you squat down. He can be a little shy but he is great!
When my cat when up to my small flock he chased he away!:lol: I hope you can take him because where I keep them I can't have a rooster he was in "pullets" at the feed store but it happens. I want him to go to a good home where he won't be killed for dinner. Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom