Does anyone have a one-legged rooster?

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
My boy had a nasty foot infection last tear. I bandaged, dressed, cleaned gave antibiotics, etc for about 4 mos. He stayed in the spare bathroom for about 3 months, but since it wasn't getting better, and he wasn't using it, I let him stay with the girls and would bring him in for bandage changes until it seemed like all I was doing was hiding the infection. It just wouldn't respond to treatment. His foot finally fell off.
th.gif
. Think he'll be OK,...sjhould I feed him extra since he can't scratch?

When we bought our home, the previous owners had chickens. We had offered to buy them because they weren't treated/housed properly (and I was already a previous chicken owner/lover). Once a raccoon had finally attacked their chickens and injured their rooster...THEN they offered us the lame rooster! We weren't about to take on vet bills for their negligence so we called a local rescue who wanted to save all the chickens. They came and took the rooster, took him to the vet, patched him up. About a few years later I read in their newsletter that the same rooster had his leg amputated (I suspect it was the same leg that had been injured). I don't know how that rooster is doing today, but sounds like being one legged isn't a problem....maybe for mating. And I suppose scratching is off the list unless he's a very coordinated bird!

I think your roo will be fine. And thank you for sticking it out with him...what a battle you both have been through with that infection! He's lucky to have you.
big_smile.png

Thanks for that. He really is a nice boy - the only one left from a clutch his father, Little Red, sired. He's still very approachable, even after all the washing, meds, etc. He's always been really gentle with the girls. I hope that he'll be able to fertilize a girl or two to keep Red's (and his) great disposition going!

Since he was on antibiotics for so long, I'd give him a round of probiotics (would recommend getting the product called Probios at the feed store, rather than using diary products).

He may learn to mate with one leg, although I'm sure he'll end up on his face or tush a few times before he gets it right. If the girls are quiet and receptive to him, it will up his chances of being able to fertilize them.

I would just watch the stump. If he puts weight on it, take a look at if to make sure it isn't raw. It may take time for him to develop hard scar/pad at the bottom.

Glad to hear he knows you were helping him and doesn't hold it against you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom