Does anyone have a rooster that does this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bjcoop, Feb 11, 2008.

1. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    Is this a typical rooster thing? He has had this head shaking thing since about 3 months old. I know this was asked by another member, but he seems healthy.

(sorry about the poor quality--and hope I did this video posting right)

The only thing that I just noticed is that if I hold my hand out with a goodie he misses it much of the time. [​IMG] He's not really been sick and none of the hens have gotten sick. And, he's the perfect gentleman--giving his treats to the girls, calling everyone in at night, and is the lookout for danger when the hens are in the woods or out in the cornfield. Any ideas? Or is this a typical roo thing?
    --------------
    16 spoilt chickens, 1 rescue chicken-hound dd [​IMG] dh

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My rooster shakes his head sometimes, and "missees" the treats as more of a signal to his hens that he's pointing at something good. The video was kind of short, but didn't look out of the ordinary from what I saw. A longer clip may help?

3. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    LOL

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Your rooster's gesture reminds me of what I call the "wattle shimmy" done by my JG roo. He does it to impress the hens.

5. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    my australorpe does that too, I also thought he might be doing a little shimmy for the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by