Does anyone have Chickens and Ducks living together?

Those of you that had your chicks and ducks together did you have any kind of pool in there for your ducks? If so, did it cause any problems for your chicks?

I have 13 hens a rooster and 8 ducks 4 drakes and a turkey they get along just fine, they have determined their pecking order , I have my ducks pool right outside the coupe since i let themall free range all day, I tried keeping the pool in my coupe but my turkey loved going in it and utilizing it as her restroom. I have recently built them a pond and the flock just socializes around the pond while my ducks swim.

I think it might depend on a number of factors. I have read that it isnt the best environment for the chickens because water fowl are wet and muddy.
I put my new silkie rooster down in the yard where the ducks were free ranging when we first got him and he went up to my young gander and beat him up!! Now all the muscovies (including a huge drake) are afraid of Brucie (AKA Bruce Lee) except for the gander. The roles of my gander and Brucie have changed and now my gander tries to attack Bruce through a garden fence that acts as a separator..

I have chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, and goats living together. They have a huge electrified poultry netting pen that they sleep in at night but they free range during the day. The chickens sleep in two large sheds with roosts. The ducks sleep outside or under the sheds but lay their eggs in the sheds (sometimes in a nest on the floor and sometimes in the chicken nest boxes). The turkeys roost in the trees in the pen or on the roof of the sheds. The geese sleep outside the sheds. The goats have their own pen and shed inside the chicken pen. I leave the gate to the goat pen open during the day so the chickens can fluff the straw bedding and clean up the goat berries (yuck).

The birds are feed before I let the goats out and after the goats have gone to bed to keep the goats from eating the bird feed. The goats are feed their pellets before they are let out and after they are back in the pen to keep the birds from eating the goat feed. Everyone wants what they cannot have!

In between feedings everyone leaves the pen to see what goodies they can find in the woods and pasture.

Water is another problem. Ducks and geese love to dirty everyone else water so.

1. The chickens have 5 gallon buckets with lids with drinker nipples on the bottom. These are kept in the chicken sheds. This keeps the ducks and geese out of the chicken water.

2. The ducks and geese have two kiddie pools that are cleaned and filled every mourning. This keeps them happy and the turkeys watered.

3. I have a wood pallet balanced on a 2x4 (like a see saw) at the entrance to the goat pen. Goats and chickens have no trouble crossing it (goat kids love to play on it) but the ducks, geese, and turkeys are afraid to cross it which keeps them out of the goats water.

Hatched chicks and ducks are always brooded separately. Ducklings get the bedding wet in no time and are usually not effected by coccidiosis but it is a death sentence for baby chicks. Baby chicks like dry. Chicks and turkeys of the same age can be brooded together until 3 weeks old. After that the pecking order starts and feathers start flying.

Pecking order is goats, then geese, then everybody else. I have seen silkie hens take on a 25 pound tom turkey. Almost every fight involves food or in the spring it is nest space for the ducks and geese. If you mange those correctly their will be peace.....most of the time. :)

i have 10 rir chicks can I put them in with my year old Sussex birds, will they get along or hurt the babies.. right now I have 12 ducks they home with ...

The only issue is having them in a brooder together...the chicks will end up cold and wet. In other arrangements you'll find what works for you and the birds. I have a roo that hangs with the ducks and he watches over them when they are out and about just like he would with chickens. The ducks pay no attention to the other chickens and turkeys.

I am planning on keeping mine together, however, I am wondering if anyone has any input on what to use for bedding in the coop. I have read a lot of comments that deep litter doesn't work well because the ducks get it pretty wet and slimy. Any suggestions?

I am planning on keeping mine together, however, I am wondering if anyone has any input on what to use for bedding in the coop.  I have read a lot of comments that deep litter doesn't work well because the ducks get it pretty wet and slimy.  Any suggestions?
I would do 2 coops. I couldn't imagine keeping mine together unless you have a ton of room or a barn of some sort.

Thank you needlessjunk, unfortunately at this time that is not an option, any other suggestions?

Make it very large so that they have plenty of room and watch them closely. I use pine shaving for both of my coops without problems. Also make sure that the ducks don't sleep under roosting chickens or else they will be covered in poop. I don't do deep litter and just spot pick areas and turn it over every day. Every few days I take out most shavings and start over. A few times a year I put completely new shavings in. But duck poop is wet and soggy compared to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom