Does anyone have experience with purina feed/Nutrena feed

bk15

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
I have have been feeding purina crumbles but I just started feeding Nuterna pellets has any one had experience with these types of feed??

I personally see little reason to pay the premium price for Purina feeds over Nutrena feeds...

The 15%-25% premium that the local places sell Purina for simply is not worth it to me especially when I compare ingredient/nutritional labels, I see nothing in the Purina mix that justifies the higher price... And with the savings per bag I could supplement with real foods if I feel like it... The $2 - $3 savings per bag for example would allow me to buy 2-3 lbs of ground meat on sale to treat the birds, that is significant IMO...

I also will take pellets any day over crumble if the option is offered...

I'm sure others will argue differently...

Last edited:
I personally see little reason to pay the premium price for Purina feeds over Nutrena feeds...

The 15%-25% premium that the local places sell Purina for simply is not worth it to me especially when I compare ingredient/nutritional labels, I see nothing in the Purina mix that justifies the higher price... And with the savings per bag I could supplement with real foods if I feel like it... The $2 - $3 savings per bag for example would allow me to buy 2-3 lbs of ground meat on sale to treat the birds, that is significant IMO...

I also will take pellets any day over crumble if the option is offered...

I'm sure others will argue differently...

I agree with you with the pellets are better right now Iam trying get my chickens to eat only pellets. But at tractor supply the purina and Nutrena are the same price.

But at tractor supply the purina and Nutrena are the same price.

I would personally just get the Dumor if you go to TSC, it's made by Cargill Feeds and if you dig further it even gets more interesting in that you will find that both Purina and Nutrena as well as MANY other house brand feeds are also just rebrands of Cargill Feeds ;)

http://www.cargill.com/feed/channels/feed-retailers/

The reason the Nutrena at TSC is the same as Purina is because they sell the Nutrena NatureWise premium 'all natural' line vs the regular Nutrena Country Feed line so take that into consideration...

Shop around if you have the option, around me Nutrena Country Feed layer is $10-$11 a bag, Purina layena is is $14-$15...

Back
Top Bottom