Does anyone have low vitamin D levels?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I did a bit of research last year when the doc told me my vitamin D levels were low. I started taking an OTC vitamin D supplement, but apparently six months later they are even lower than before. I'm outside a lot (I know the sun has a lot to do with vitamin D synthesis), but I am also a type one diabetic. Not sure if that has any effect though!

Anyone else suffer from low vitamin D levels? Does it make you feel different? The doctor wants to put me on a prescription supplement which I will start this upcoming week. I do find I get into bad moods quite easily lately, but I just figured it was from the frustration of dealing with my diabetes.

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    your not on prednisone are you?

cause that will def. do it to you

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    No prednisone here. Just insulin and symlin.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Get your doc to prescribe the Vit D treatment. It's 2 or 3 times a week, 50K units per pill.

Changed my life!! I get seasonal depression- now we know why! I hate cold and won't go outside unless I have to when it's nasty out. Not enough exposure.

Makes a difference to get your levels up- do it. It'll dramatically change your mood, energy, and best: your immunities!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The dietitians I work with say everyone is Vit D deficient, here in the gray PNW.

Imp

6. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Most folks here in MI are low, or at least seasonally low.

Vit D affects a LOT of things in a body - depression, pain problems (fibromyalgia), etc.

My rheumatologist likes to check my blood every 6 months, and Vit D is one he likes to check. He's stopped checking though because I'm borderline HIGH, all the time. I don't supplement, I don't even drink "Vitamin D" milk or fortified cereal, juice etc.

I eat fish - a LOT of fish. A lot of my fish consumption is sardines, to avoid ingesting a ton of mercury [​IMG] Tuna fish is good, along with salmon (we make salmon patties from the canned stuff). Egg yolks are high in Vit D.

I've been on Vit D supplements before, apparently I don't synthesize it well - used to be low until I met DH, and changed my eating habits. Also, Vit D is a fat-soluble - it NEEDS fat in order to be useful.

It's early, and I'm not thinking coherently, sorry [​IMG]

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Yep, low here too. Been on supplements for over a year and feel so much better. Seasonal affect under control too! Woohoo!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was told by the person who did my bone scan to take specifically vitamin D3, not just plain vitamin D. I have osteopenia.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I think ALL of us in the family is low, moody is one of them and I'm in pain all the time. Might try the OTC Vitamin D supplement.

10. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    "they" have raised the amount of vit D you should be taking everyday...I take 5000 iu a day because my body has issues retaining it. And I also get the 50k iu pills about 3 times a year to take for a month. it really does make a difference in your mood! My issue also stems from thyroid problems, so you might want your doc to do a full panel on that as well. Just had mine removed last summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by