Does anyone have low vitamin D levels?

my doctor told me the same thing your doctor told you, and like you, type 1 diabetic, he told me to start taking a 1000 iu vitamin d a day, and since i couldn't find a plain vit.d at wallieworld, i got the d-3, -plus working in the garden, getting alot of sun, have no idea if its working or not, won't know til my next blood test in nov.
haven't noticed if my mood are better tho, still my old grouchy self lol

Quote:
my husband was given this and he took one a week for 8 weeks......and they were 50k.

You can still get light from going outside daily for at least 15 min even during the winter.

Last edited:
Wanted to add - yes, the fishy fun is good for D3 - even made better because of the fat, mucho better if you consume sardines and eat the bones (high calcium). I've heard that you can't consume enough D foods to be good enough, but well, I'm "good enough"
smile.png
Lots of ways to eat sardines and not have them be the "nasty" critters you think they are (I like them on crackers with spicy mustard and some swiss cheese).

I had never heard of Vit. D deficiency until this yr when my mother down in fl. was told she was deficient. Wellll I had a hard time believing that since my 76 yr old mother is outside in the fl. sun EVERYSINGLEDAY!! She mows peoples yards for hours at a time she is out there in the sun (God bless her, I'm not sure I could do it) She eats and loves fish and seafoods. It just makes no sense!! Then MY doc tells ME that I'm Vit. D deficient .... Is this the truth or is it the latest 'fad' of our drugs/meds? I'm beginning to wonder because why is it that all of a sudden what seems like everyone is deficient??
Well I'll take it ... for now *grumbles* I hate pills!!

It's not a fad. The problem is that over the last 30 years everyone has been told to stay out of the sun and use sun screen. This has led to chronic vitamin D deficiency.

As for potential toxicity, it takes INSANE amounts of D to get you toxic. 1000-4000 IU is harmless. The average female uses 4000 IU/day. The average male, 6000 IU. If you have health problems or are older, your body doesn't use/convert D as well. You need more.

Testing is the only way to know if you are getting enough.

Some people cannot absorb vitamin d as well as others and genetic make up plays a big role in that. I have been out in the sun much more this year than in the past but my genetic makeup does not allow me to absorb as well as I should.

Quote:
Hard to say how much of it is real and how much of it is guess work.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 20 years ago, about the time they realized there was something going on and coined that name. Since I began the D3 supplement the pain is all but gone. Now I'm just sitting back and waiting, I've had quiet periods in the past just to have it return. If it doesn't this time then I think I would qualify as someone who had the D fix the problem.

This is a really interesting book; The Healing Sun. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Sun-Sunlight-Health-Century/dp/1899171975/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

I
have a friend that was recently tested and found to have NO vitamin D in her body! I didn't think that was possible! They put her on a whoppin megadose med and told her to get in the sun at least 10 minutes a day. I was already wondering about a new 'fad' pharmacutical, too even before I read this post. Here's an article I sent to her about vit. D deficiency:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100823172327.htm

I can understand that if there is a medical issue that causes a shortage of vit. D that a person could be deficient. I also know that some supplements can interfere with the body's ability to absorb vitamin D. Surely there aren't that many sunscreen covered, vitamin poppin' people to need a mega med of vitamin D, right? For most of us, its enough to eat leafy greens most every day and get outside in the sunshine for 10 or 15 minutes (without sunscreen), you know, like every other living creature...

Back
Top Bottom