Vitamin D Help for Hen

Maintain a good vit D regimen, please. And especially fowl lose vit C big time in hot conditions. Definitely up vit C which can be added to drinking water. Relocating chickens to a cooler corner, if you have one, will be great for them to weather out the heat. Chickens especially start to suffer in temperatures at 104F and beyond as their cooling system is limited.

Maintain a good vit D regimen, please. And especially fowl lose vit C big time in hot conditions. Definitely up vit C which can be added to drinking water. Relocating chickens to a cooler corner, if you have one, will be great for them to weather out the heat. Chickens especially start to suffer in temperatures at 104F and beyond as their cooling system is limited.
They are well pampered during this hot weather. The electrolytes I use ( I rotate 2 different ones) has a lot of vitamins, acidifiers so I will add it since I have a bottle of ascorbic acid on hand and they do not mention ascorbic acid/vitamin c in the mix. They get frozen watermelon and some strawberries and pepper scraps that are high in vitamin c. Their new chicken yard has 1 shade cloth -blocks 75% light and 2 tarps blocking the sun, a sprinkler in the grass and a mister going throughout the day, a container with water with 2 stepping stones for cooling off those feet, 2 fans, small a/c window unit in their nesting box/roosting area. It's over kill but I lost 2 from this heat in the past 2 yrs.

Then you're very well versed on chickens and needs. Boy. May I say how I envy them. If I am reincarnated (and the universe hence play devil's advocate twice) may I be reincarnated as one of your lucky chickies. I want a mister or sprinkler to play under!

Blessings to you and your flock. I'm very sorry for the ones that passed. I know the pain. Guilt even--I just got back from working with a lot of native species in another country... and we had 5 deaths during Southern hemisphere summer. It hurts very bad, especially after establishing rapport with them. But blessings to you and your flock!

Then you're very well versed on chickens and needs. Boy. May I say how I envy them. If I am reincarnated (and the universe hence play devil's advocate twice) may I be reincarnated as one of your lucky chickies. I want a mister or sprinkler to play under!

Blessings to you and your flock. I'm very sorry for the ones that passed. I know the pain. Guilt even--I just got back from working with a lot of native species in another country... and we had 5 deaths during Southern hemisphere summer. It hurts very bad, especially after establishing rapport with them. But blessings to you and your flock!
Thank you for the kind words. I love them very much as well as my 4 inside cats and German Shepherd girl. I do look up everything on how to best care for critters. I posted this question originally for those who are more well versed in "what works" and "what doesn't". My Buff- Honey Bee is my son's favorite hen, he hugs her, so I'd like her to stick around awhile and trying to understand IF she is lacking something, needs extra or maybe she has something going on with her shell gland. She is otherwise bossy and being her normal self. Blessings to you as well.

Thank you for the kind words. I love them very much as well as my 4 inside cats and German Shepherd girl. I do look up everything on how to best care for critters. I posted this question originally for those who are more well versed in "what works" and "what doesn't". My Buff- Honey Bee is my son's favorite hen, he hugs her, so I'd like her to stick around awhile and trying to understand IF she is lacking something, needs extra or maybe she has something going on with her shell gland. She is otherwise bossy and being her normal self. Blessings to you as well.
You're most welcome. How lovely, such a great gathering of beautiful animals around! I miss all my 4 legged friends. But definitely, I feel you are very conscientious about care for critters. You're not satisfied until you know all there is to know. That's great. Seek and you certainly will find. And especially with your son loving on Honey Bee so much, certainly worth leaving no stone unturned. (Great name by the way, Honey Bee!) Hehe bossy, love the image of that.

Back
Top Bottom